Chapter 2: Selvina the Slayer

Selvina ducked under the slashing blade and leapt aside as it swung back in a loop, returning as a vertical downward chop. She dodged that as well and then retaliated with a thrust of her own sword. It was smacked aside, rather too easily, and Selvina clenched her teeth, fighting frustration.

The attacker lunged in with a thrust and she chopped at it with her sword. The attacker pulled back in time, making Selvina chop down at nothing, unbalancing her for a brief moment.

It was enough for the tip of the other blade to tap her throat, ending the fight.

Selvina, breathing heavily, dropped her sword and stepped back, leaning against a tree. She slid down to the ground and looked up at her opponent, frowning. "It's not fair that I go up against you. You should be like, one of my last challengers, not my first!"

Red, smiling, brushed a strand of scarlet hair from her eyes and sat down in front of her friend, resting the wooden practice sword on her crossed legs. "I'm not the best there is when it comes to swords, Selvina."

"Well, you're a hell of a lot better than me!"

"You were actually doing quite well! I was impressed, Selvina. You've come so far already. Remember when you could barely keep the sword in your hand?"

Selvina sniffed at the memory. "Yeah, and when I'd be out of breath after a few swings."

"Exactly, you're getting better and that's all you can ask for. You've only been training for a month. I've had this training for years."

Selvina took in a deep breath and nodded once. "I know. I guess I need to be more patient." She then added with a laugh, "Is there some kind of training on that?"

Red shrugged. "Merlin would be the one to talk to."

"Where is he, by the way? I rarely ever see him."

"He's with Cindy most of the time. I'm rather envious of her. I always wished being able to use magic."

"Why can't you?"

Red shrugged again. "I never tried, I guess. From what I hear it takes years and years of training and you have to start young. Cindy is already old for a student and she's only fourteen."

"Still, it can't be too late to try, no?"

"I could always ask, I suppose."

"Hey, speaking of which, did Belle finally ask Merlin? She's been wanting to ask him about giving Beast his own body for weeks now yet he's been so busy with Cindy that she never got a chance. Didn't she say she'd try last night?"

Red nodded. "She did but I haven't heard from her. I think she's too nervous to ask."

"Yeah, probably. Like, what if Merlin knows how? What if, after all this time of wondering and hoping, it becomes real?"

Red met Selvina's gaze and smiled warmly. "I'd be so happy for her—for both of them. They deserve to be able to hold each other."

"They really do."

Moments later, a young man with bushy brown hair, copper eyes, and a mischievous smirk approached, his eyes on Selvina. "Hey girls! How was the sparring today? Did Selvina kill another chipmunk?"

Selvina groaned and stood up stiffly. "That was one time, Jack! And I felt so bad! Why do you have to bring it up every day?"

"Because it was funny!" he explained, his eyes brightening. "The way you got all upset and threw your sword at the tree, only to hit that poor, innocent, and adorable little chipmunk, just stuffing his face and preparing for winter. Such a monster you are, Selvina."