Chapter 36: The Ice Queen

Selvina and Tinkerbelle were suddenly woken up by the sound of trumpets and horns calling from all over inside the castle and outside in the city. There was a great commotion in the hall as hurried footsteps could be heard running back and forth.

Selvina exchanged a bewildered glance with Tinkerbelle and slid out of bed. There was a sense of urgency and near panic in the air and she wondered if the castle was besieged. She stood up and gazed outside but saw no armies coming from the south. Would one be coming from the north somehow?

Gripping her nightgown tightly with one hand, she crept to the door and opened it a crack, peeking out into the hall. Elven, dwarven, and human attendants hurried about with brooms, mops, cloths, pails of water, and various other cleaning utensils. Selvina even spotted several guards rushing down the hall, their faces sombre.

"What the hell is going on?" she muttered questioningly.

"Get dressed, Selvina," said Tinkerbelle. "I'll go find out."

Selvina moved to do just that but then stopped and hurriedly closed the door before the fairy could fly through. "No! You can't! Not yet."

"Why not?" Tinkerbelle asked, hands on her hips.

"I don't know how Rhiannon will react to you yet. I don't want you getting hurt, Tink. For now, I think it's best if you stay with me."

Tinkerbelle gave it some thought and eventually nodded. "I would feel safer around that elf-arrow, I suppose."

With that matter settled, Selvina set about getting herself dressed. As she was picking something out, there was a knock at her door. Tinkerbelle flew off to Selvina's bed and hid behind one of the canopy posts as the young woman walked to the door.

"My lady Selvina," said a familiar voice.

"Ytali?" Selvina asked, hoping she got his name right.

"Yes, it is I. Good morning."

Selvina opened the door wide, offering the elf a smile.

"I have no time to talk, unfortunately," he said before Selvina could say anything. "The Empress requests your presence on the main floor immediately. She wishes you to wear something blue or white, but nothing that glitters or shines too heavily."

"Um, yeah, sure. What exactly is going on?"

"Queen Svala of Sworden has arrived. She will be at the castle within the hour. It came as a...surprise to our empress, which...well, rarely happens."

"The Ice Queen is here?" Selvina asked in surprise.

Ytali nodded. "I do not wish to be a bother but....please hurry, lady Selvina. The queen of Sworden is not known for her patience."

Selvina nodded back and hurried into her huge closet. She soon found a suitable dress and donned it in record time. The dress was elegantly simple and not too low-cut, as to hide her elf-arrow necklace better. She struggled with the back for a time but had help when Tinkerbelle snuck into the closet. Ytali stood at the door, his back to the room, waiting patiently.

"How does the empress want my hair?" Selvina called as she gave it a good brushing.

"Nothing too elaborate," was Ytali's reply.

"Great," Selvina mumbled in frustration. "Because that narrows it down..."

"Just wear it down with a ribbon or something," offered Tinkerbelle. "I'm getting the hint that Queen Svala doesn't like being outshone. It's also easier for me to hide in your hair if it's not braided."