Chapter 47: The Stranger

Selvina was drowned in her blankets, warm, comfortable, and sleeping soundly, until she heard the creak of an opening door. She was normally a heavy sleeper and would have never reacted but this night was an exception. She moaned and opened her eyes lazily, the world around her shrouded in the thick haze of sleepiness.

A candle burned on a table near the entrance of the room and it cast dancing shadows on the opposite wall, the one with the window doors leading out to the balcony. Outside, the sky was dark and starless, blacker than soil.

The candle revealed a dark figure standing over Amalthea's bed, right across from Selvina's. The figure was hunched over and reaching over the unicorn. Selvina sat up in shock, her vision clearing immediately and her heart pumping into action.

"Step back!" she shouted, worried this stranger meant to kill Amalthea. It could be an assassin sent by Queen Svala. Selvina didn't put it past that childish woman to do such a thing. "Get away from her!"

Without thinking, Selvina leapt out of bed and reached for the nearest weapon, an ornamental sword hanging on the wall near her bed. The weapon was heavy and most likely dull but it was better than nothing and Selvina pointed it at the dark figure across the room. Something awakened in her then, a feeling she had not experienced ever before. Was it courage? No, it was something more. Something stronger...

"Lay a hand on her and I'll cut it off!" Selvina spat. She noticed that Tinkerbelle had woken up and was buzzing beside her, nail-sword twirling hungrily. "Who are you? What do you want with Amalthea?"

The dark figure straightened and rested both hands atop the a staff it carried. The candle light intensified and revealed the stranger's face, heavily bearded and full of wrinkles.

Selvina's breath caught in her throat and she dropped the sword. The weapon clattered loudly as the young woman raced ahead and wrapped her arms around the dark figure. The man smiled and hugged her back.

"Merlin!" Selvina cried out in pure joy. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you here right now. You're exactly who I need right now."

The old wizard chuckled and patted Selvina on the back as she pulled away from the hug. "It warms my heart to see you healthy and well, Selvina. I worried that your captivity here would be under far less...extravagant conditions. Everyone back in New Avalon will be pleased and relieved to know you are unharmed."

Selvina was overjoyed to see Merlin here but the moment of bliss soon passed, replaced with a flood of questions. "Why are you here? How did you find my room of all places? But like, seriously, why are you here at this time of night?"

Merlin eyed Amalthea and placed a hand on her body, his wizened face etching with concern. "She brings me here, Selvina. I was on my way here for a formal visit with Empress Rhiannon but when I sensed the magical imbalance intensifying, I hurried as quickly as I could. I now see what happened."

Selvina looked at the dying unicorn and fought back tears. "Can you help her? Can you heal her? Please, Merlin, do something!"

"Her life hangs by the thinnest of threads, Selvina. If I were to merely brush it too roughly it could snap. I have given her what healing I could without upsetting her body's own intense efforts but she is so terribly weak. She will need many days, if not weeks, of uninterrupted rest.

Just then, Amalthea's equine body began to glow with white light. The light slowly grew in intensity until it was so bright that everyone had to turn away and shield their eyes. When they looked at the unicorn again they saw a thin, white-haired woman dressed in rags instead.

Selvina glanced at Merlin for answers. He was smiling, which lifted her hopes. "Is she awake?"

"Perhaps not on our level," Merlin replied. "But she was awake enough to change form, which means to me that she is steadily healing. Trust in her, Selvina, and she will return."