Chapter 21: Friend Ship

"There it is, men," Admiral Smollet declared, his loud voice carrying itself easily across the first rate's deck. "The great war fleet of Avalon. This great nation produces more than just able knights, as Noyr and Sworden will soon discover."

Jack looked up from his mop, gazed ahead, and nearly dropped it. Several hundreds of yards away, floating in the open ocean, was a massive forest of tall, wooden masts, sails furled. Bearing these sails were hundreds of war ships of various sizes, many of them huge ships of the line. Much like the one he stood on, those ships bore several cannon decks with scores of cannons protruding from either side and crews numbering in the hundreds of men. They were the slowest of ships but were by far the deadliest.

Alongside them were the much swifter, though less powerful, brigs, sloops and frigates. The faster ships were to harass the enemy's largest and to pursue, and perhaps destroy, any damaged ships leaving battle. They were also quite capable at blasting away at the larger ships' sails, reducing their already abysmal speed. In the confusion of battle the smaller ships could also be used as interim flagships to relay the admiral's signals to the dueling ships that could not see them, thus ensuring tactics and strategy could still be employed amidst the chaos.  All around the ships were longboats rowing every which way, like bees buzzing from flower to flower in a vast meadow. Jack had never seen so many ships and boats in one place before and had to remind himself to breathe.

Captain Hook walked up from below decks, appearing as grumpy as ever. He and the admiral had not gotten along for a single day during their journey north. The latter had threatened to throw him overboard if he did not cease his insubordination and since then the captain had decided to remain below decks. Jack was grateful to see him out and about again.

"We've arrived, Cap," he said to him, offering him a smile.

Hook glanced at him and forced a smile. "It's about damn time. If we hadn't been aboard the slowest ship in Faeryum we might have arrived a month ago..."

"Ah, James, you are awake," Admiral Smollet said with a smirk, gazing down at Hook from his position at the quarterdeck. "I had worried you'd be forgotten below decks. Such a pity it would have been to leave for battle without having given a ship to the great Captain Hook."

Jack saw the captain clench his fist but was glad that he did not reply. Now was no time for another fight. They were so near to being off this miserable ship.

"Which one is mine?" Captain Hook asked the admiral without looking at him.

"What, are you so eager to leave Avalon's most powerful ship?" the Admiral asked him in his haughty and grating voice. "Would you take it if I were to offer it?"

"Not in a million lifetimes would I take this overdecorated snail of a ship!" Hook growled, finally looking at the Admiral. "It will be the first to sink, admiral, and I will be safe aboard my vessel when it happens. Now which one is it?!"

Admiral Smollet's eyes narrowed. "I am of the right mind to not give you any ship, captain..."

"I was told by King Arthur himself that I would be given one, admiral, and you'd best remember that. You may be his master of the seas but he remains your superior and any scenarios you may be conjuring at the moment in being rid of me would be swiftly deciphered by Merlin. There is no taunting or threatening me, Smollet."

Even from where he stood, at the far end of the main deck, Jack could tell the admiral's lips were pursed and a vein bulged on his forehead. And the victory goes to Captain Hook, he thought proudly.

"One of the frigates is yours," he mumbled after a few wordless minutes. "May it sail you astray, pirate hunter."

"May your watery grave be peaceful, old fool," replied Captain Hook without missing a beat.