Chapter 52: End of the Fall

The halls and staircases leading to Caer Gobiyth's gates were littered with collapsed bodies. Most were unconscious, collapsed from exhaustion after having their life force nearly completely sapped. Those that had resisted were dead.

Merlin could hardly walk and leaned his whole weight on his staff. He shuffled as quickly as he could, knowing that if he lagged he would be disposed of. He had failed Faeryum utterly but there would be no hope if he perished. As grim as the future looked, Merlin never lost hope. Selvina, despite being banished from this world, was yet alive. As long as she lived, wherever she was, there was a sliver of a hope. It was hardly one but it was the only one and Merlin would not ignore it.

At his side walked Iktarosh, the god of conquest, his power slowly restoring with every bit of life force he absorbed. Merlin understood the god sapped the energy stored in every being's soul, effectively conquering their spirit and transferring some its power to his own body. Strong-willed victims were more difficult to subdue but Iktarosh was a god and always won out in the end. Merlin knew that from experience.

He closed his eyes and the memory of his failure immediately sprang up. He saw himself turning, guiding the portal with him, and then saw himself launching it toward a stunned Selvina. She had had no chance of avoiding it. It had consumed her fully and completely removed her existence from Faeryum. Merlin had created the spell with hopes of sending Iktarosh somewhere he could not return from but instead it had taken Selvina.

He tried to recall the final words he had uttered but his memory was clouded. Those final words had not been his own, as if his mouth had uttered them without his knowledge or intent. Confused at first, he now understood the Writer had manipulated him, just as he had done with Accolon. Those final words of the spell were the clue he needed to find Selvina's location but try as he might, he could not remember them.

The wizard glanced past the god at the other being beside him. Legatus Accolon, commander of Noyr's legions, walked with difficulty beside the god, using his sword as a cane. He looked much like Merlin did, his skin sallow, face sunken, and eyes fogged over. The god had not killed them, being aware of their usefulness, but he had only barely let them live.

Like loyal servants, the guards at the front gates opened them wide, giving the striding god a wide berth. Horns had been blown and trumpets called as word spread across Corbeau that Noyr's true leader had come to them. A great gathering of Noyrans had crowded at the gates of Caer Gobiyth to witness the spectacle. Being worshippers of the Iktaroshan religion, the Noyrans were eager to see the truth of the rumour that their god had come to them.

Iktarosh folded his wings alongside his body and Merlin watched as they flattened and thinned into a long, black cape, clasped at the front of the god's body. The god himself shrunk in height slightly and became more humanoid in form. Upon his legs his skin hardened into plates of armour and his feet became like iron boots. His horns grew smaller, curled, and wrapped around his head like a bony crown and within moments the god appeared like a true sovereign.

A herald walked forward, spreading his arms wide and gathering attention to himself. It failed utterly as everyone's gaze was firmly fixed on the god, mouths agape and eyes wide.

"Hark, citizens of Corbeau and fellow Noyrans!" the herald cried. "I present to you Iktarosh, God of Conquest, in his truest form. He stands before us as our new ruler and as our true lord! He will guide our empire in an age of prosperity we could only dream about! Bow to him! Kneel to him! Worship your god-king for he is returned and he is mighty!"

Then, like sheep in a herd, every man, woman, and child present dropped to their knees and bowed their heads. Human, elf, and dwarf alike, all swore fealty to their new ruler. No questions were asked about the empress. No one questioned the rule of a god. The empress had given the Noyrans a prosperous and powerful empire but that didn't matter anymore. Iktarosh was alive and standing before them. He was a god. He would give them more.