Chapter 4: Grim Tidings

Upon returning to Maron, Captain Hook and Selvina were immediately confronted by Sir Perceval, who came riding to them with all haste. The large, bald man, adorned in his customary plate armour, appeared alarmed, though he hid it rather well.

"There is an emergency war council, happening immediately," he said to the captain after a hasty salute. "Word has come from Frenis. It is disheartening." The Avalonian knight shifted his gaze to Selvina. "You need to be there as well."

Hook and Selvina exchanged worried glances before following Sir Perceval to the tent.

"Let Red and Jack know I'll be with them after this is over," Selvina whispered to Tinkerbelle.

"But I want to be there too!" exclaimed the fairy.

"I'll tell you all about when it's done," Selvina whispered back. "Please, Tink. Remember last time?"

She could barely hear it but the fairy sighed dramatically before fluttering away.

After several of the war councils she had attended, Selvina learned quickly that if someone wasn't invited then they should not be there. Tinkerbelle had been listening quietly during one such council when a newly arrived Knight of the Round Table, Sir Kay, had noticed the fairy and demanded she be slain for spying. It had taken much convincing from Selvina and all others gathered to convince the irate knight that the fairy was an ally and not an agent of the empress. She dared not repeat that mistake this time.

They soon arrived to the massive tent in the center of the huge military camp, guarded by two halberd-wielding soldiers in full plate armour. They hardly glanced at Hook and Selvina when they entered. Once inside, they found two seats at the large round table and settled in.

To her relief, Selvina found that Cindy was present this time and was lucky enough to find a chair beside her. The young teen did not attend as many councils as Selvina did but it was always welcoming when she did. Whether it was because Selvina was no longer the youngest attending or having a friend there made it more comfortable she wasn't certain but assumed it was a bit of both.

On Cindy's other side was her middle-aged, grizzled, bearded, and battle-scarred uncle Ruslan, who greeted Selvina with a firm nod. Selvina smiled and nodded back, before sitting down and leaning toward Cindy.

"What's this all about?" she whispered.

Cindy shrugged. "I was in the forest training with Merlin when all of a sudden Sir Perceval came riding in and told us to get to the council tent immediately."

Selvina glanced at the table and those attending but did not see King Arthur or Merlin. Sir Lancelot sat beside two empty chairs and the other chairs were filled with a variety of Avalonian Knights as well as Queen Marian and her two generals. Sir Kay was present and, after narrowing his eyes at Selvina, seemed pleased to see no fairy upon her shoulder.

The hum of murmurs and whispers broke the silence for several minutes until finally King Arthur burst in, Merlin at his heels. The aged King was tight-lipped, wide-eyed, and clearly upset about something. Merlin, normally calm and collected, was visibly flustered and pale-faced. Selvina felt a chill rush throughout her body, making her tremble.

This was definitely bad news.

King Arthur gave everyone a short greeting before seating himself and taking a deep breath, as if trying to quiet his racing mind. After a few minutes of composing himself, he clasped his hands atop the table before him and eyed them momentarily, as if choosing his words carefully.

He soon cleared his throat and gazed at everyone assembled. "I wish to thank you all for coming under such short notice. It comforts me knowing that I have such loyal and honourable companions at my side." He sighed. "Unfortunately, the news I carry is heavy and is, quite frankly, most dismal."