Chapter 19: She Came in the Rain

Selvina took a moment to stop running and catch her breath. Her heart was racing and she expected to hear someone calling for her but the woods were silent. She searched between the trunks, seeking out any of the rangers she knew were hiding there, watching her. Just like all the other times she had tried she didn't find a single one.

Glancing back, she saw no one following either. Doubts began to slither in her mind, making her shiver. Was anyone coming for her? Did anyone really care that she was running away? Had Tinkerbelle left her like everyone else?

Something small dropped on her head and she swatted it away, feeling nothing. Less than a moment later something else dropped on her, and then something else. When a small drop of cold water struck her shoulder, Selvina groaned.

"Great," she mumbled, "of course it has to rain." She looked up at the sky of grey clouds, as it always seemed to be lately, and narrowed her eyes. Was Merlin causing the rain? Was he trying to force her to stop running and seek shelter so he could catch up to her sooner?

Selvina sniffed. "A little rain won't stop me, old man." Defiantly, she continued on her way down the road, her back straight and her chin up, raindrops falling in an ever-thickening sheet around her.

Merlin thought he could stop her so easily? Pah! Did he truly think she was so simply defeated? He hardly knew her at all if that was the case. It was just a little rain and nothing to worry about. Yes, it was rather cold rain, and now that the wind had picked up it was growing even colder but...still. Selvina wouldn't quit now. She would show them all how determined she truly was at leaving.

Her hair began to whip about as a cold northern wind blew down the trail, directly in her face. Selvina tucked her hands under her armpits, lowered her head, and trudged on. Her simple leather coat was small and meager—more of a travelling vest it was. She would much prefer a thick, warm cloak and a fur hat. Her teeth chattered as she envisioned the warmth of a fire and the comfort of a soft bed. Cold water leaked down her face, mingling with tears brought on by the wind and discomfort.

"I'm being so stupid," she muttered through clattering teeth, her voice cracking. "Why did I even do this? I should turn around and head back." Moving to the edge forest and glancing about, she threw all caution to the wind and shouted, "Help me! Please! I know you're there! I want to go—"

There, coming down the road toward her, was a woman in black. She wore a thick cloak of black fur, fur-lined leather boots, and a white-furred hat that clashed with her jet black hair. Her skin was pale, her face angular, and she carried herself like royalty, her body straight, her chin titled upward slightly, and nothing moving but her legs. The rain dripped down all about her but it didn't appear to bother the woman at all. Despite the attire thickening her body, she was intensely beautiful and Selvina had the sudden urge to look away, as if she was undeserving of such a wondrous sight.

The woman walked without hurry, glancing now and then into the forest and smiling lightly at nothing in particular. Selvina realized she was partially hidden behind a tree and made an effort at not moving. Her instincts warned her not to startle or frighten the woman. There was an aura of awe and mystery about her and Selvina didn't know if she should introduce herself or remain hidden. Hiding felt like the safest option, however, thus she tried that.

The woman was only a few paces away now, moving slowly but steadily. She had yet to glance at Selvina or show any sign that she had seen her. The blonde continued to watch the strange woman walk by, her mind filling to the brim with questions that she dared not ask aloud.

When the woman was directly in front of Selvina, her body betrayed her. Chilled to the bone from the rain, her extremities grown numb, she sneezed—loudly.