Chapter 12: The Question

As Selvina rode with King Arthur, Belle sought out Merlin. It was time to ask him the question that has been plaguing her mind for years. Beast remained silent inside her mind, knowing the gravity of the situation. He understood she needed focus and he dared not disturb it, no matter how anxious he was to know the answer to the question as well.

Tinkerbelle had flown off in search of the wizard and soon came buzzing back, her small face beaming. Belle's enhanced hearing, due to her pairing with Beast, meant that Tinkerbelle could speak to her flying before her face instead of directly in her ear. Nevertheless, Belle found herself holding her breath when the fairy spoke.

"He's taking a walk in the woods, Belle," she said. "If you hurry, you can catch up to him before he gets too far." She then crossed her arms over her leaf dress-covered chest and shook her head. "You know, it must be nice to be a king and wizard. While everyone else is busy working they can just go for pleasant rides and hikes! Then again, Queen Titania and King Oberon just seemed to sit around all the time too. Ugh, royalty..."

Tinkerbelle's small rant fell of deaf ears, however, for Belle wasn't listening. She prepared herself as best as she could and, with a deep breath, charged down the road in the direction the fairy had come.

Tinkerbelle, caught off guard, soon reappeared and fluttered her wings about a dozen paces ahead of Belle, turning down streets and down alleys, finding the quickest way to the nearest gate. Once outside the city, there was a long road to the Sherwood Forest in the distance but Belle didn't slow. She could let Beast take control and bound across the fields and hills, making short work of it, but she stubbornly decided to do it all herself.

When she finally reached the forest she took a moment to catch her breath, surprised that she had been able to clear so much distance on her own.

"You are far stronger than you realize, dear," said Beast.

Belle smiled. Thank you, Adam.

"Hurry!" Tinkerbelle urged, gesturing wildly and pointing down the road. "Merlin will be across the forest by now!"

But, as they soon found out, he wasn't. He hadn't even walked half a mile from the forest's edge when they reached him.

Bent on his knees and inspecting a dead flower, he glanced at them with a raised eyebrow. "Belle, Tinkerbelle, is there something wrong?"

Belle shook her head, stumbling to find words.

"Then why have you come? I by no means want to sound disapproving of your visit; I am simply curious."

Belle opened her mouth but no words came out. Say something! Spit it out! Just ask the question! Don't stand there like an idiot! Belle, do something! Worried Adam would be the one to disturb her thoughts, she discovered that it was her own consciousness shattering her resolve.

"Do you want me to ask him?" questioned Beast quietly.

No! she snapped.

Merlin raised an eyebrow in concern. "What troubles you, Belle?

Belle's face reddened in embarrassment. What she desired most weighed on the answer to the question she could not ask. Perhaps she should simply let Adam say it. With a frown, she straightened herself, tightened her stance, and inhaled.

This is it, she thought. After this I know if Adam and I can ever hold one another, share a hug, hold hands, kiss...

And yet, again, no words escaped her parted lips.

With a groan of frustration, Tinkerbelle flew to Merlin's ear and spoke to him.