Chapter 50: Back to Neverland

Red looked down the ramp leading down to the pier but hesitated. She turned around and eyed Captain Gulliver. The young captain had been a wonderful friend and excellent tutor in the ways of sailing. Because of him Red had sailed the entire way to Tortug, loving every moment. She had grown fond of Captain Gulliver and it pained her heart to be leaving him. A part of her wanted to stay with him and it grew stronger with every moment.

He smiled at her warmly. "I wish you weren't leaving already."

Red smiled back, blushing scarlet. "I could stay..."

"You have a duty to your friend and to all of Faeryum. What about all of that?"

"I can get my brother to do it... I..." Red sighed. She knew in her heart she couldn't stay, no matter how happy it would make her. Captain Gulliver had grown into a great friend and she hoped their bond could have developed into something more but that would have to wait. Their time to part had arrived, as she always knew it would. She never expected it to be so painful, however.

"I am honoured to have met you, Red Hood," he said, taking her hands in his. "My travels will be duller without you."

Red couldn't suppress her blushes. No one had ever talked to her the way he was now and it made it difficult for her to speak. She managed eventually, saying, "I'll miss you, Gulliver, and please, call me Scarlet."

"You told me you didn't want people calling you that."

"Only my closest friends can call me by my name." She met his gaze and smiled.

He held her gaze and smiled back. He slowly leaned in and Red felt a powerful rush of warmth clench her body as his lips neared hers. She waited for them to touch but the moment never came. He kissed her cheek instead and Red's mind was a jumble of questions and frustrations.

"You will be in my thoughts, Scarlet," he said quietly. "May we meet again one day."

Red stared at him, her heart beating madly and her mind so convoluted and in chaos she couldn't think properly. Quickly and without warning, she leaned up and kissed Captain Gulliver on the lips. She held it for a few seconds, relishing the feeling of her body exploding in heat, and then hurriedly let go and turned around, nearly running down the ramp, her face as red as her cloak.

She met Cindy, Robin, Bigbad, Ruslan, Sir Lancelot, and Sir Gawaine on the pier. They had been waiting for her and had seen everything. Cindy was beaming from ear to ear, Robin looked bothered, Lancelot was smirking, Gawaine was smiling kindly, Ruslan appeared bored, and Bigbad looked happy, his wagging tail smacking loudly on the pier's wooden planks.

"Will I get a goodbye like that too?" Lancelot asked her with a wink.

Red's blush somehow deepened in colour. She avoided her brother's gaze and stood at Cindy's side as Bigbad licked her hand. "You were watching the whole thing?"

"I wasn't," grumbled Ruslan.

"I saw everything!" was Cindy's excited reply. "I knew there was something between you and the captain! You always dreamed of sailing. He's perfect for you."

"Yes, well, as painful as it will be for my dear sister," started Robin, frowning, "we have a task to complete and we have to leave poor Captain Gulliver." Then, more to himself, he added, "May his travels take him far away from here..."

Lancelot gave Robin a nudge. "Come now, general. Don't be so hard on her. Truly, I'm in the most pain from all of this. I now don't stand a chance with your sister!"

"You never did!"

As Lancelot laughed, Sir Gawaine said, "We should hurry and find lodgings for the night. Evening will be upon us soon and some of us have yet more sailing to endure."