Chapter 42: Rockets and Fairy Dust

There was a quiet in the air, despite the bitter north wind, and like the cold, it seeped into everyone's bones and clung tightly. Jack, perched in the crow's nest and feeling the full unobstructed bite of the northerner, shuddered and rubbed his arms. He gazed around at the multitude of warships sailing the waters, the largest of them seeming to come to a standstill. The wind had suddenly changed direction, severely impeding this fleet's progress and significantly aiding the enemies he knew were coming.

Down below, Hook sailed the newly renamed Julia's Revenge, named after his late wife, at an angle into the wind, catching what he could into his sails. Jack noticed the swifter vessels of the massive fleet were doing the same but the larger ships of the line were having difficulty. Some were already resorting to being towed by longboats or the smaller frigates, brigs, and sloops. Many of the captains seemed to be hoping for another wind change instead of deciding to set anchor and waiting it out. With a look at the dark water below, Jack wondered if the anchors would even reach the bottom. As huge as the fleet was, it was vulnerable to attack.

And, of course, this was when the enemy decided to reveal itself.

Against the horizon, Jack noticed tiny specks, thinking them tricks, until more of them appeared as the first ones clearly grew larger. He couldn't discern the flags but there could be no mistake.

The enemy had come.

"Captain!" he cried out as loudly as he could. "To the horizon! Enemy spotted!"

The call was repeated until Jack heard Captain Hook's voice shout out in acknowledgement. Jack couldn't see through the tall masts and huge sails below and around him but he knew Captain Hook was looking through his spyglass. More calls were heard from other ships as their spotters detected the enemy and the fleet, despite having an unfavorable wind, set about forming up.

With sailors in the longboats rowing furiously, the huge multi-decked ships of the line performed their namesake and gathered in several long columns. The fleet's flag ship, captained by that prude Admiral Smollet, took the lead of the middle line. Behind it were a dozen other ships, nearly as large and heavily armed as it was. Two more lines of ships were forming on either side of the main line, spaced out by several hundreds of yards, more than enough room for enemy ships to sail into and get fired upon by two sides. Like scavengers hovering around the hunters and their prey, the smaller frigates, sloops, and brigs sailed around the three lines, ready to relay orders or pick off any weakened or fleeing foes.

Jack was amazed at the speed of the formation, despite the lack of proper wind. These captains were obviously highly trained and their crews were remarkably able. It took over an hour for the lines to form properly but they managed just before the enemy arrived.

Jack took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He thought of Selvina and his heart pulsed with warmth, fighting off the chill. A faint voice angrily scolded him at abandoning her to sail with Hook. As much as he loved Selvina—and he loved nothing or no one more—Hook has asked for his help and Jack would not deny his beloved captain. He understood a time would come when he would have to decide whether to disappoint Hook or Selvina, but this battle was no simple pirate hunt. This was far larger than any naval battle ever fought before. It would need the best captains and best sailors.

Too bad Sinbad isn't here, he thought sadly. Wherever he was, Jack hoped his task held as much importance as this upcoming battle. If the Avalonian fleet lost, the Frenisian blockades would resume and Avalon itself, King Arthur's kingdom, would be vulnerable. The only thought that brought him comfort was that Selvina was safe in Maron, surrounded by the Knights of the Round Table and Avalon's army.

Minutes passed as the enemy fleet, about a third of the size of Avalon's, formed up into two lines. The Avalonian fleet could, if it wished, sail ahead and attack the enemy as it prepared but there was no honor in that and no Avalonian captain would call the order, not even the admiral. The enemy also continued to hold the favourable wind. If it noticed the Avalonian fleet advancing, it could outmaneuver it and potentially counter-attack to great effect.