Chapter 48: Breaking the Chains

Accolon was surprised that morning to see Merlin but seemed genuinely pleased to have him along. Selvina had eaten quickly and was ready to follow the legatus to wherever they needed to go to put a stop to Iktarosh's return.

"With you here, Merlin," Accolon was saying, "we could perhaps go in through the main entrance. Surely your magic would be powerful enough to work the locks."

"Can you use dark magic?" Selvina asked the old wizard, remembering how Rhiannon had mentioned one would need mastery of both nature and dark magic types to open the doors.

"I focus on the nurturing aspects of nature magic meant to keep the balance," Merlin replied. "I rarely tampered with dark magic."

"All you need to do is bring a plant back to life."

Merlin raised a bushy eyebrow. "Nature does this on its own every year with the change of the seasons."

"So you can do it?"

Merlin nodded. "With ease, my dear."

"Then it's settled!" Selvina exclaimed with a great smile. "We go through the front doors!"

Merlin, however, did not agree. "I would much prefer a secretive route, Selvina. We want no one knowing we are there, after all, as the empress could return here any moment. It actually troubles me that she has not yet returned."

Accolon nodded. "I would have expected her here by now."

"Do you think anything happened?" asked Selvina.

"I could take a few minutes to peer with my far-sight..."

"There is no time, Merlin," Accolon said hurriedly, his words coming out jumbled. "As you said so yourself, she may be arriving here at this moment. We need to be in those hidden tunnels before we are seen by wandering eyes and more and more of them are waking up as we speak."

"Indeed," agreed Merlin. "Lead the way, Accolon."

Selvina was disappointed that Merlin hadn't taken the time to seek answers to Rhiannon's, and thus Jack's, whereabouts but she agreed there was little time to tarry. She eyed Accolon with furrowed brows, disappointed with him as well. If he truly had feelings for Rhiannon he would have taken the time to find out. If there was a deep connection between the two he'd fare the best out of all of them if Rhiannon found out what they were up to. Something felt off but she couldn't quite discern what it was.

Soon after, Accolon and Merlin left the room, closely followed by Selvina and Tinkerbelle, the latter two giving the sleeping Amalthea a final look of concern.

"I'll stay with her," said the fairy. "You have Merlin and Accolon with you, Selvina. You'll be fine. Amalthea needs someone to watch over here. That queen-baby Svala could be looking for her."

Selvina paused, caught off-guard by the sudden change of plans. She glanced at Tinkerbelle and Amalthea and then at Merlin and Accolon, already near the end of the hall. With a quick nod, she said, "Good idea, Tink. You're right. I'll be fine and Amalthea should have someone here to keep her safe. You're perfect for the job."

"You're right I am! Now go before you lose them!"

Selvina flashed Tinkerbelle another smile before racing out of the room and closing the door behind her.

****

Accolon lead Merlin and Selvina into areas of the castle that seemed to be visited by no one. There were cobwebs and dampness in every corner and the stench of mold was overpowering.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" Selvina asked, pinching her nose and trying to ignore the cockroaches scurrying into dark crevasses.

"As the general of the empress's armies I am required to know every instance and portal an enemy may use to infiltrate this keep," the white-haired elf replied. "I have travelled these halls several times to ensure that they cannot be breached easily. Some of these passages lead to hidden doors outside the walls but they are of no concern to you at the moment."