Chapter 5: Acquiring Allies

As those gathered around the round table coughed or rubbed their noses in awkward silence, Selvina's mind was racing. A glimmer of an idea was forming and she clung to it like a lifeline, desperately hoping it would bring salvation. When enough pieces fit together, she cleared her throat and watched as most faces turned her way.

"What about the kingdom of Midae?" she asked. "Is it not allied with Avalon?"

"Yes," replied King Arthur wearily, "but King Midas is dead and I would not trouble an already troubled kingdom. The interim council of nobles would undoubtedly vote against going to war anyhow."

"You don't know that," growled Queen Marian.

Selvina straightened her back with a bit of pride, getting the feeling that the queen was catching on to her idea and liking it. Feeling slightly empowered, she eyed the king directly. "As an ally is Midae not encouraged to aid you in your wars?"

King Arthur pursed his lips and blew out of his nose. "Yes, being an ally of another nation heavily implies that you take up arms and aid them in their wars."

"Otherwise, what's the point, right?" Selvina asked.

King Arthur nodded.

"I think we should send someone to ask for Midae's aid in this war. Other than the damage caused by the Black Knight the kingdom is more or less untouched, right?"

The king nodded once more.

"Midae will have plenty of supplies, soldiers, and ships," Queen Marian noted.

"Not to mention all that gold," Lancelot added with a point of his finger.

"Which won't serve us at all, you idiot!"

"Queen Marian, please," King Arthur scolded, looking quite like a father figure to the younger, more ireful queen. Shifting his attention to Selvina, he added, "I understand what you are saying, Selvina, and there is indeed merit in it. I have thought extensively if I should request aid from Midae but my code of honour compels me to give the nation time to grieve for its loss. If I pull it into war only more will die."

"It's had over a month to grieve," Marian grumbled. "Midae is ready for war, where, quite surprisingly, people die. I agree with Selvina and say that we should persuade the council of nobles to declare war on the empress. This is going to be the biggest war of this age and every nation should play a part in it."

"By that do you mean Kenmard as well?" asked Ruslan. "The Republic of Kenmard has been neutral for centuries."

Shocking everyone, Merlin said, "I believe it is time that changed. Kenmard has had good relations with most nations of Faeryum, including Sworden and Noyr. However, in ages past, when the nation was first cursed into a state of never-ending winter, it was Frenis and Midae that lent food, supplies, and aid to the tiny nation while the others did nothing.

"I also believe that if all other nations fall Kenmard's neutrality will mean little when the empress decides to claim it as her own. Kenmard can stay out of this war and eventually become a Noyran province or join it and hold on to its independence. There is also a chance that if Kenmard fights with us, its winter curse will collapse."

Ruslan and Cindy's eyes bulged at that news. "Is this true?" they both asked simultaneously.

Merlin gave Cindy and Ruslan a single nod. "There is a chance indeed."

"The President must hear this," Ruslan said, suddenly appearing ready to race across the sea to his home nation. "That curse has ruined out nation and forced it to rely on the aid of others. If Kenmard can have its seasons again, it can grow its own food and become wealthy once more!"