Chapter 6: The Hood's Decision

Red lay on top of Bigbad's back, crossing her arms over the huge wolf's head and resting her chin on them. The horse-sized wolf, as black as a moonless night, lay at the edge of a cliff and gazed out across the sea as a blanket of grey clouds loomed overhead. Red sighed and glanced to the side, where her brother stood waiting.

"I don't know why you'd want me along," she said, turning her attention to a gull hovering in the breeze. "I'm only famous in Midae because people don't like me. When you left for New Avalon I had to steal to stay alive and it gave me a reputation I'd rather not have."

"Scarlet," Robin said calmly, folding his arms over his chest, "I'm sorry you had to live your life that way, I truly am. I know I am partly to blame for that but a familiar face will help, even if it's one of a thief. With Sir Lancelot there the council of nobles won't doubt your words at all."

"Selvina should go," mumbled Red. "She's the one who told King Midas about a way to save his daughter. The nobles will prefer her over me."

"Little Red, I need you with me. I don't know how long I can stomach Lancelot. I'll end up killing him before we arrive."

"Well, just don't kill him."

"Believe me, it's easier said than done. You should try sitting through one of the war councils sometimes. The man has no shred of decency."

"Coming from you, that's a surprise."

Robin chuckled lightly and Red couldn't help but smile. She couldn't deny the enjoyment she received being alone with her brother. It reminded her of the days they'd venture into the Old Forest together, hunting, hiking, exploring and adventuring. She knew her life would never be like that again but the memories were stronger when her brother was nearby and they were pleasant to recall. A journey to Midae would have its troubles and dangers but perhaps, with her brother beside her, it could become enjoyable.

"Does Lancelot really need to come?" she asked, already knowing the answer.

"There needs to be an Avalonian representative with us and other than Merlin and King Arthur, he is the one that will have the highest impact with the nobles. Trust me, I'd much rather have someone else come along instead."

Red sighed and didn't reply for many minutes. "I don't know, Robin..."

"What else will you do during winter?" he asked, a note of desperation in his voice. "Selvina and Cindy will be going to Kenmard, Captain Hook and Jack will be attacking the blockades, and your friend Belle will most likely be helping in preparing for the campaign. The snows are deep in winter here, Little Red, and for the most part there will be little to do but wait until spring arrives. Sailing to Midae will be far more productive than sitting here."

Red sniffed. "Look at you, thinking of productivity. You used to be so carefree, Robin. You've changed."

"I've grown up, Scarlet. Being a general has shown me that sometimes our actions can have grievous impacts. This war is going to consume us all if we don't do everything we can to try and win it. We need those nobles to declare war on the empress. We need their help. There once was a time when I didn't care about such things but that time is long gone. I am a New Avalonian general and I will fight to the death to defend my home and the people I love."

Red raised an eyebrow in interest. "Like Queen Marian?"

To her surprise, Robin didn't even hesitate. "Yes, like Marian."

Red met her brother's intense gaze and took a deep breath before smirking. "You know, if you married her that would make you king." She giggled and stretched out on Bigbad's back. "Could you imagine that, Robin? You as a king? Even when we were kids we never dreamed of anything like that happening."