Chapter 38: Destiny Catalyst

Breathing was impossible. Selvina's head pounded as fiercely as her heart. Sweat beaded all over her body. Vision blurred and staying upright became difficult. Selvina could do nothing but stare, mouth agape, at the reason she was in the dungeon, in the empress's castle, in a foreign world where stories were real. It wasn't until Tinkerbelle poked her backside with her nail sword that Selvina finally started to breathe again.

Selvina blinked and stared at Amalthea. There were so many questions to ask that she couldn't decide which to ask first. Most, if not nearly all, followed a distinct pattern and could all be answered by speaking a single word. Selvina opened her mouth to speak it but stopped herself.

Amalthea looked unbearably weary and on the brink of death. There would be no answers if she died then and there. Selvina eyed Tinkerbelle, who nodded in understanding, and then knelt before Amalthea and held her gaze, hoping she'd stay awake—and alive—long enough.

The fairy, meanwhile, assaulted the shackles on Amalthea's wrists. It took some time but eventually one of them snapped open, the prisoner's arm dropping limply without the support. Soon later the same thing happened to the other shackle and arm and Amalthea fell forward. Selvina held her in her arms, alarmed at the woman's cold body, and began rubbing her arms. Tinkerbelle helped by standing on Amalthea's head and buzzing her wings as quickly as possible in an attempt to create a bit of heat.

"Thank you," Amalthea breathed after several tense minutes had passed. "I need sunlight... I need the sky..."

Selvina's tongue twitched impatiently, struggling in torment to hold back the questions. She desperately needed answers. Here was the one person that could give her some and she wanted to go outside? Now, with the whole castle probably searching for Selvina? Of all times!

"I waited to see you," Amalthea said with great effort. "Before I let go. I needed to see you..."

"You're not going anywhere," Selvina said perhaps too loudly. "I mean that. You'll make it through this, Amalthea."

"Are you sure about this?" Tinkerbelle asked with worry. "What if we're caught?"

"Faeryum needs me alive, Tink," Selvina said with a frown. "Rhiannon knows that, no matter how upset she might be right now. She can't stop me." With that, Selvina slipped her arms under Amalthea's legs and back and lifted her up. She was shockingly light and Selvina knew for a fact it wasn't on the chance that she somehow gained strength in her arms. Amalthea was on the edge of death. She needed saving and now.

With purpose and determination, Selvina walked toward the other end of the tiny prison. Tinkerbelle, nail sword in hand, lit and led the way. They retraced their steps and after long minutes of traversing the halls and ascending stairs, they were back at the hall within the castle, looking through the unguarded opening.

Selvina didn't stop. She walked on, her brows furrowed in resolve, and entered the castle halls. Servants and patrolling guards passed her by, glancing her way in shock, worry, and curiosity, but not stopping her in any way. Selvina found it strange that not a single question was asked, not even about the dying, white-haired woman in her arms. Tinkerbelle at that time was hiding in her hair but she doubted anyone would have said anything about her either. There was almost a cruel indifference to the situation, as if no one cared about Amalthea's condition.

"It's Rhiannon," Amalthea whispered, her eyes closed and her voice weak. "Her instructions must have been clear as to not stop you in any way."

Not wishing to lose her chance, Selvina hurried onward. Though Amalthea was light she was not weightless and her arms were beginning to weaken. Rhiannon could turn a corner at any moment and it prodded her onward, forcing her to ignore the discomfort in her arms. Sweat returned to her body and her breathing intensified.