Chapter 18: Several Leagues While Under the Sea

Artemian stood in a large, empty room, save a few benches, couches, chairs, and a massive round window that bulged outward. The domed window was the largest one in the entire vessel and, after multiple reassurances that it wouldn't crack, the huntsman took a chance and gazed outside of it. The constant creaks and bangs of the metallic ship resisting the water's intense pressure would take a little more assuring, however. 

The vessel trolled slowly but steadily and occasionally passed by schools of fish or deep-diving whales. The view was little more than dark water, but Artemian found it rather beautiful and calming.

Behind him, Allan Quatermain and most of the submersible's crew lounged about, sipping ale and chatting amiably. Captain Nemo turned out to be a dwarf, to no surprise, as was his entire crew, save Allan. There were seven of them in total, including the captain, and Artemian didn't care enough to remember their names. For the most part, he stayed alone. Tonight was a rare exception.

"I have yet to see this glittering underwater city of yours, Nemo," Artemian said impatiently. "We are so deep little light seeps through; how do you suppose it glitters?"

Nemo, seated on the largest and most comfortable chair, chuckled. "Oh it's there, all right. Should be passing over it soon, I reckon. Never seen it from the Nautilus, though."

Artemian turned from the window and, arms held behind his back, raised an eyebrow at the captain. "Then how do you know it is there?"

"Plenty of tales about Guldlys, lad. It's rather difficult to see it from the surface but when my beard was shorter and my eyes clearer, some good friends and I took sail in a rickety old sloop and dumped our diving bells in search of it. The tales gave us a general location so we set out, determined to find it. After we dove underwater so many times I swore we was growing fins, we found it. 'Course, even from a diving bell you could only swim so far and from where we were it looked like a great pile of gold scattered all over the ocean floor. It glittered just fine, even without any light from above."

Artemian reflected on the story for a moment and then shrugged. "Well, there is nothing there yet. Does this craft move any faster?"

Nemo frowned. "She's made for exploring, lad. The Nautilus isn't no swift schooner or pirate-hunting brig. She takes her time and lets you enjoy the view."

Artemian glanced back at the dark water. "There isn't much of one at the moment."

Nemo began to growl but Allan, seated beside him on a smaller chair, intervened. "Patience, Artemian. It will take us several days to reach the island, perhaps weeks, thus is you are in any hurry then I suggest you take one of the rowboats and find another ship next time we rise for air. What's the rush, anyhow?"

Artemian jerked his lip irritably. "The woman I seek is sought by others, or so I am told."

"Ah, there we have it," Nemo said, raising his arms and bringing them down to slap his knees. "You want this girl all for yourself and you're worried when you get to the island she'll be grabbed already."

Artemian narrowed his eyes. "Yes, that is my concern."

"Rightly so. It is indeed, your concern, and none of mine, my boys', or Al's."

"I understand that."

"Good, then don't be rushing us."

Artemian simply rolled his eyes and turned around, facing the window once more. There was little to do in the submersible and he had no intention of making friends with any of the dwarves therefore his patience was low and his irritability was high. He hoped beyond hope that he'd arrive in time to capture Selvina before any other bounty hunters arrived, those lucky enough to sail on far swifter vessels than this underwater slug. He needed that bounty money to reclaim a small piece of his old life. Selvina herself could perhaps direct him to Belle as well, clearing a path for his next hunt.