Chapter 15: Belle's Chance

"Doctor Jekyll?" Selvina asked in alarm.

"Merlin didn't say doctor," Belle replied quietly. "What is a doctor?"

"Like, someone who makes sick people feel better."

"A healer?"

"Yeah, I guess, but anyways, Merlin specifically said Jekyll?"

Belle nodded. The two girls were discussing their newfound discoveries while attempting to eat a breakfast in Selvina's room at the inn. It was a rather small room with only a bed, a chair, and a desk for furnishing but both were too deeply ingrained into their tales to care about such things.

"Do you know a Doctor Jekyll from your world?" Belle asked apprehensively.

Selvina nodded and swallowed her piece of bread. "There is a book about him and this monster he turns into. Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is what it's called. I've never read it but we talked about it a little bit in school. The impression I got from him is that he was rather crazy. He didn't sound like a friendly or trustworthy person, especially Mr. Hyde."

Belle sighed forlornly. "According to Merlin, he's the only one who can help us."

Selvina paused mid-bite and stared at Belle, unmoving. She pulled the bread away from her mouth, her eyes unwavering, and asked slowly, "And you want to go find him, I take it?"

Belle met her gaze and swallowed. "Well, yes, I do..."

Selvina pursed her lips, clenched her teeth, and breathed deeply through her nose. "When....when did you want to do this?"

Belle looked away and shrugged, pulling her arms close to her body. "I don't want to leave you alone, Selvina."

Selvina's face hardened. "But?"

Belle eyed her, glanced away, and then eyed her once more, straightening her back slightly. "But if I wait too long I may never get a chance. This war could go on for years and years and Adam and I may get killed or Jekyll himself, if he's involved in it."

"Oh, and the thought of never being able to touch Adam is just too much to bear, eh?" Selvina asked harshly. "You have him with you at all times! At least he's with you now, right?! Jack is gone and I may never get to see him again but that's never a worry for you, Belle, because the man you love is always with you. He's a part of you! Is it that you want to touch and hug and cuddle with Adam or is it that you've grown tired of him and want him gone?!"

"No!" Belle retorted, her face reddening. "I love Adam, Selvina, like you love Jack!"

"Then why do you want him away from you so much? I would do anything to have Jack here with me right now. At least you have that luxury!"

"And you can kiss the man you love, Selvina! I can't!"

"At least you never have to worry if it's the last kiss!"

"You and Jack can have a future together! Adam and I can't!"

Selvina furrowed her brows in confusion. "What do you mean? You guys will grow old together no matter what."

"Yes...but it will forever be just Adam and I..."

Selvina thought about it momentarily and then looked away, realizing what she meant. She calmed herself down somewhat and then said, "Are you sure there's no way?"

Belle eyed her crossly. "How exactly am I supposed to get impregnated?"

Selvina threw her arms up and snapped, "I don't know! Is there some magic way your two souls can combine and make a baby or something? I don't know how it all works!"