Chapter 11: Left Behind

Selvina woke up in a large, soft bed, covered in heavy blankets. She blinked her green eyes open and examined the room, which was much larger than the one she had at the inn. A candle burned on the bedside table, filling the room with the scent of lemon and honey. For a moment she thought she was back in her world and the cold grip of panic set in.

Until she saw Belle sitting in a chair across the room, eyeing the fire crackling in the room's hearth.

"You're up," Belle said with a small smile, appearing tired and weary. "I'm so glad."

Selvina furrowed her brows in confusion. "You look like you haven't slept in days."

"I haven't," Belle said as she walked over to the bed and sat on its edge. "You were out for two days, Selvina."

Selvina's eyes bulged and she sat up in her bed. "What? Two days? How?"

"Merlin says you exhausted yourself beyond your physical capabilities. The only thing keeping you going was adrenaline, or so he says. Personally, I think it was love."

Memories of Jack's kiss, the disappearing wagon, and of the rowboats flashed in Selvina's mind. Could it all be a dream? "So they really left? Jack, Red, and Cindy are gone?"

Belle nodded and reached out, placing a warm hand on Selvina's. "Robin Hood, Bigbad, Ruslan, Sir Lancelot, Sir Gawain, and Captain Hook went with them."

Selvina's chest felt like it was crumbling from within. It was real. Jack was gone. Red, Cindy, Captain Hook were gone too. For all she knew she'd never see them again. "So it's just you and me?" she asked, barely above a whisper.

"Adam is here, obviously," Belle muttered. She then gave Selvina's hand a light pat. "Tinkerbelle too."

As if on cue, the little fairy fluttered into the room and flew glittering circles around Selvina's face, lightening the mood slightly. She then landed on the blonde's shoulder and said, "It's about time you wake up, sleepyhead! I was about to shove a few beetles up your nose if you slept for another day!"

Selvina grinned lightly. "Well, not everyone is gone, I see. Still, it's going to feel so different around here."

Belle nodded. "I know. I already miss them."

Selvina agreed wholeheartedly with that. She sighed deeply and clenched a hand into a fist. "This sucks..."

Just then, Merlin and King Arthur walked into the room, smiling at the sight of an awakened Selvina. She looked up at them briefly and fought with great difficult to not give Merlin a glare.

"That candle comes all the way from the southernmost provinces of Sauradia," Merlin said, his lips curled in a smile. "It is said to carry healing capabilities and is rather expensive. I am pleased to see you up and looking healthy, Selvina."

"I was just sleeping," Selvina said flatly. "I doubt your stupid candle had anything to do with healing me."

Belle's brows arched upward in worry but she said nothing. Tinkerbelle gave Selvina's ear a smack but the girl didn't care. She simply stared at the wall across the room, her jaw set and her back stiff.

"Forgive us for the intrusion," said King Arthur, "but we heard voices and thought it would be all right if we came in to investigate. It does bring me joy to see you alive and well, Selvina. I understand you may harbor some ill feelings toward Merlin but know that he only acted on my order."

Selvina's lips arched into a snarl and she slowly turned her head, giving King Arthur—the real King Arthur—a frown and glare. "So you're the one who thought I should stay behind?"