Chapter 17: Dark Paths

In an attempt to clear her mind of the current events, Selvina decided to take a walk in Sherwood Forest. Despite having been a battleground barely over a month ago, it was now cleaned of any dead bodies and safe for travel. The trails running throughout the forest spanned for many miles in all directions and Selvina hoped they would help calm her somewhat.

Tinkerbelle had been more than eager to come along and the fairy did what she could to cheer Selvina up but they were mostly futile efforts. Selvina knew the fairy would never abandon her and she loved her for it but it didn't fill the gaps left behind from those that had. Red, Jack, and Cindy had noble and worthwhile reasons for leaving but Belle's was completely selfish. As upset as it made her, however, she couldn't deny the fact that were she in Belle's position, she'd do the same thing. She had told her as much.

General Little had noticed her leaving the city and asked to accompany her but she had refused, saying she needed to be alone for a while. He had assured her that help was never far, which she understood as that she would be followed, albeit stealthily. She had yet to spot anyone but, as Robin had once assured her, New Avalon's rangers were never seen. A part of her was annoyed that everyone thought she needed protection but another felt secure in knowing that she was looked after.

I didn't even bring a weapon, she thought with a sniff of self-derision. Looking up at the buzzing fairy, she smiled. Unless you count Tinkerbelle.

The trails were wide enough for two to walk abreast and were covered in a soft carpet of damp leaves. The morning rain was long gone but it was yet damp in the forest and the colours and smells were intensified. The trees were a mix of the needled and leafed variety, including dark, gnarly oaks that broke the silence with their intermittently falling acorns, and thick, spiny spruces and pines blotting out the sun with their fullness. Birds sang their autumn tunes and squirrels chittered and chattered, bickering and arguing over acorns and pine cones. Geese would often fly overhead, seeking warmer climates in the south.

I wonder where they fly to, she thought. The troll swamps were only a day's walk away which meant if snow reached New Avalon then snow would reach them as well. On the other hand, she had only seen a small portion of the swamps and it was possible certain regions of it never froze or grew cold, and it was there that the geese flew. Regardless, she was grateful that such thoughts distracted her from current events.

If only for a while.

"Why did Belle have to leave?" she asked angrily. She knew the answer to the question and she had accepted it, yet it infuriated her all the same. All of her greatest friends were off on grand adventures, save perhaps Jack who was heading to war, and she was forced to remain behind. Yes, she was safe and protected but there was little to do in Maron. The forest walk was peaceful and enjoyable, but it would not be so once the snows came, which she was told would be soon.

Tinkerbelle, hearing her speak, fluttered to her shoulder and said, "You know why, Selvina, and I don't like it either but she has her reasons. I think she should have stayed, no matter what, but that's just me. I know I'd never abandon Thumbelina for anything."

Selvina raised an eyebrow at the fairy. "You're here right now with me, not with her."

Tinkerbelle stomped her foot. "I know that! I didn't abandon her, though! I just...went with you instead..."

Selvina arched her eyebrows and lowered her eyelids slightly. "That sounds quite similar to what everyone is doing to me. Instead of staying with me they went with someone else. Jack went with Hook, Red went with Robin, Cindy went with Ruslan, and Belle went...um, with Beast."

"They didn't abandon you! Things are complicated right now, Selvina. You know that! I know you do! We're at war and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made."