Chapter 3: Departure

There was a great crowd of people at New Avalon's small port, the hundreds of voices deafening the normally quiet area. Many of the cargo ships were sailing back to Avalon to fetch more supplies for the spring-time campaign into the Empire of Noyr. This allowed any individuals or families to board the ships and leave the war-torn nation to seek safety across the Cerulean Sea. Many were taking that chance.

Standing at the end of one of the piers, Selvina looked at Rapunzel through moist eyes and quivering lips. On her shoulder sat Tinkerbelle, the thumb-sized fairy giving the side of Selvina's neck a comforting tap.

"I can't believe this is happening," Rapunzel said sadly. "It's for the best, though... I'd like to think so anyway."

"New Avalon isn't for everyone these days," Selvina agreed. "I'm sad that this is happening too, Rapunzel, but I'm happy that you and Goldilocks will be safe. It's not that here."

Rapunzel nodded and stiffened, as if fighting to stop herself from crying and using every ounce of strength she had.

Selvina, unable to hold it back any longer, lunged forward and hugged her teary-eyed friend tightly. "I'm going to miss you, Rapunzel. We've had some incredible adventures."

Rapunzel hugged back, squeezing tighter. "We survived Wonderland together, Selvina. You showed me that I could be brave and I'll never thank you enough for that. I'm going to miss you so much."

"We'll see each other again." Selvina said with a sniff. "I promise."

Rapunzel nodded, sniffing as well. "I would really like that."

After a while the girls broke their hug and took a step back. Rapunzel's long, black hair was heavily coiled into one, thick braid which only lightly brushed the ground. Selvina remembered the struggle she, Red, Belle, and Wendy had in making that braid. Her fingers were still sore from the endeavor.

Standing beside Rapunzel was Goldilocks, her short hair, golden and curly, gave her head a fuzzy look. It had been sheared off in Wonderland, to the Red Queen's delight, but it was growing back fairly quickly. Unfortunately, it was the only part of her body that she had lost that would regrow. Supporting her weight on a crutch, Goldilock's right leg was severed under the knee and her left ear was completely gone. The largest of three bears had gouged her leg with its dirty and bloody claws, spreading infection and forcing its amputation and Peter Pan, a vile and unstable pirate, now pleasantly dead, had sliced her ear off for cheering at his pain.

Selvina worried for Goldilocks as she had normally been so outspoken and blunt but was now solemn and uncharacteristically quiet. After healing enough to endure an ocean voyage, she was heading back to her home in Avalon. There was no place for her in a military camp and she admitted to being quite finished with adventures altogether. She wanted the serenity of her cottage-like home where she could recover in peace and solitude.

Rapunzel, her closest friend, had then decided that she would journey with her to keep her company and to offer assistance in her recovery. Goldilocks swore she needed no aid but Rapunzel offered it anyway. Despite grumbling protests, Selvina knew Goldilocks was grateful that she would not be alone. For them, their time in New Avalon was over.

Off to the side, Captain Hook, wearing his customary black cloak, dark boots, and black gloves, held his tricorn hat in one hand and a woman's hand in the other. That woman, in her late-twenties with a bob of caramel-coloured hair, was Wendy. She and the captain were speaking in hushed tones and both appeared sad. They exchanged a kiss and a hug and then Wendy turned to Selvina and Rapunzel.

"Are you coming?" she asked Rapunzel.

"You're leaving?" Selvina asked Wendy, wide-eyed. She too had braved Wonderland but had been treated somewhat better due to her culinary skills which she was forced to use in the kitchen. She had also taken part in the Battle of New Avalon as a healer, bandaging the wounded and offering aid wherever she could. She was a strong woman and Selvina looked up to her like a big sister. She could already feel fresh tears forming.