Chapter 33: Accolon

Upon stepping outside the castle, Selvina found a horse-drawn carriage waiting in the expansive courtyard. The empress's guards mounted two horses as she entered the carriage, beckoning Selvina inside.

Still disturbed by what the empress had said about the destruction and reconstruction of Caer Gobiyth, Selvina's steps were reluctant as she climbed into the carriage and sat across from Rhiannon. She had questions but was uncertain how to ask them.

The carriage lurched forward and set out at a swift and steady pace as Selvina struggled with her unasked questions. If the empress seemed to be wanting to unite all races together, why had she been so cruel to dwarves? Why had she also attacked Sauradia's capital city, in effect killing hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent civilians?

"War is cruel, Selvina," Rhiannon said all of a sudden, once again as if reading her thoughts. "It is simply the way of things."

Selvina gulped and gathered what courage she could grasp. "I...I didn't see an army attacking the dwarves in those tapestries, um, your highness. I just saw a single dragon."

Rhiannon smirked and raised an eyebrow. "How observant of you, Selvina. I am impressed. You are correct, after all. There was no army battling the dwarves. There was indeed only a single dragon." Her expression hardened and she held Selvina's gaze firmly. "There was only me."

Selvina brushed aside the small curtains from the carriage window on her right and gazed outside. They had just left the castle grounds, crossed a wide river which also acted as a moat, and were now moving down a road heading away from the surrounding city. Selvina could see men, women, dwarves, and elves moving about down the avenues and streets of Corbeau, all of them appearing at peace with one another.

"Why did you attack the dwarves?" Selvina asked, keeping her gaze on the window and not daring to look Rhiannon in the eye. She didn't feel comfortable questioning the powerful dragon empress and worried she'd break apart if she looked into her eyes. She needed to be strong...as much as she possibly could.

"Caer Gobiyth was the perfect location," Rhiannon answered calmly and almost proudly. "I had a goal in mind but I needed a safe place to launch it from. The dwarves would never let me simply have it and thus I took it from them. This was several centuries ago, you understand, when I had no kingdom, empire, or even an army. It all began here, in Caer Gobiyth, which eventually became Corbeau.

"Dwarves hold long grudges and some of their kings even write them down in great tomes for future sovereigns to clear whenever it is possible. Knowing this, I had several rebellions and riots to quell before they realized I was here to stay but eventually, after several unruly decades, they accepted my rule of Caer Gobiyth. Dwarves are stubborn and vengeful but one thing they all respect is strength and I had proven mine to them.

"Conquering the human settlements from there was simple enough as most were only villages and small, unwalled cities. The dwarves were reluctant to attack the humans they had peacefully lived alongside for so long thus I did it myself for the most part. After the first few demolished villages, most of the others surrendered without a fight. Humans, for the most part, know when to fight their battles."

"You say that like as if you aren't human," Selvina said, glancing at the empress's ears to make sure. Her long, black hair was brushed behind them but they were clearly rounded and human-like.

Rhiannon glanced sidelong at Selvina, catching her gaze before she could look away. "Well, I am not like most humans." Looking out of the other window, she continued, the carriage rocking slightly as the road grew bumpier and less well-traveled. "The human settlements were more willing to give me their soldiers and with them, as well as some of the dwarves that decided to fight for me in the end, I began my conquest. Elves began pouring in when word was spread that they were welcome within my borders and, long tale shortened, here we are."