Chapter 16: Unrest

Empress Rhiannon took another sip of her wine, relishing the bubbly liquid as it ran across her tongue and down her throat. The expensive beverage came from prized vineyards in southern Midae, a rare make that only grew on the slopes of the King's Pass, the border between Midae and Avalon. There was a strange natural magic to the two peaks that formed the pass and allowed certain fruits to grow with altered taste.

Rhiannon sucked the flavour from her tongue and inhaled deeply as she set the glass down on the table. She was seated in one of her several escape rooms, dubbed so for they were the only rooms that no one was allowed in but herself. No servants could enter, unless directly ordered to.

There was nothing truly special about the rooms. They were lavishly furnished with comfortable and expensive furniture from every corner of Faeryum but the only purpose they served were to allow the empress a place of total privacy where she could relax in peace. Her allies and subjects knew to never disturb her if she was ever found in one of those rooms and she had often made them wait for hours to gauge the gravity of their need. More often than not, they left and returned later, leaving her in peace.

An allied general was awaiting her audience but she was unconcerned. She knew what he wanted to speak about and she had no interest in it. She was the empress of Noyr and no Swordenish general was going to change her plans.

Rhiannon grabbed the bottle of Royal Peak Flow and filled her glass, watching the red, blood-like fluid slosh about before settling into a steadily rising mass. When it touched the edge of the glass and formed a slight dome, bubbles away from spilling over, she tipped the bottle the other way, smiling pleasantly.

Her expression changed when hard pounding was heard—and felt—coming down the hall. Her wine spilled over the sides, making a small mess, and she twisted her mouth in anger. How dare she be disturbed!

There was a brief commotion beyond the door to her escape room before it suddenly flew open and in walked a tall man dressed in mixed plate, chainmail, and leather armour. Over his shoulders were two, furry wolf pelts and strapped across his back was a vicious-looking double-axe. At his belt was sheathed a broadsword with a hilt of dragon bone. The battle-scarred, red-bearded man stomped over to her, his blue eyes icy, and stabbed a finger at her face as she stood to meet him.

"You will not deny me audience, empress," he snarled in a husky, gruff voice. "Now is no time for your games!"

She fought with all her might to stop herself from killing the man outright. The only reason she didn't was because of who he was. He was the great-grandson of a mighty hero of Swordenish legend, and, as it was now, he already surpassed the feats of bravery and strength of his ancestor. He had been a king before the Ice Queen conquered his kingdom, with terrible loss on both sides. Surviving the war, and seeking vengeance, the Ice Queen of that time, the mother of the present one, had made him her general. Winning her battles and expanding Sworden's borders had given him more power and wealth than he had ever laid claim to as king. It was with his leadership that Sworden had been able to sail across the Frozen Strait and conquer the western territories of Frenis, several decades ago. They now flew the battle axe and mammoth skull of Sworden and were an excellent base of operations for the current war in Frenis.

"It is a pleasure to see you, General Beowulf," she replied stiffly.

"Don't toy with me, woman. I care not for your lies. My queen has ordered me to come here and ask why it is only Sworden's men and women that shed their blood in this war?"

"Whatever do you speak of?" Rhiannon asked, still struggling to keep the man alive.

"Swordenish forces besiege New Alsar as we speak and it will not be long before Frenis's capital falls to us. Swordenish forces raid along the Frenisian coast, spreading fear and disorder into the countryside. Swordenish vessels reinforce your pathetic excuse of a navy in keeping those Frenisian ports blockaded. And it is Swordenish armies that have broken into Nordara!"