Chapter 31: Liberator

Selvina had enjoyed a delicious supper and a warm bath before retiring for the night in her room. The empress had supped with her for a while until she was requested elsewhere. Alone in her room, Selvina lay on her bed and reflected on the day's events.

"Remain in your room for the night," Rhiannon had said. "Tomorrow we shall meet Accolon and I shall show you the city proper."

Selvina had never asked to meet Accolon but she found herself looking forward to it. She wondered what he would be like. What kind of men did Rhiannon go for? She could have anyone and yet, it certainly seemed, that only one caught her eye. He must be truly special to do that, Selvina reasoned.

Thinking of such matters inevitably veered her thoughts to Jack. Her heart ached for him and her body clenched in sorrow as she envisioned his face. It had only been a week, perhaps more, since his departure but she missed him painfully. She wondered what he would think of her now, being so close to the empress. He would most likely ask her if she's talked to her about battling the Writer yet. Though it had been briefly mentioned, Selvina truly did not have an answer to that question. She should press the issue again, she decided. The castle was wonderful and Selvina had only been treated with the best of everything but she could not grow complacent. Her true quest lay ahead and the longer she took to complete it the more powerful The Writer became.

Dressing herself into a nightgown of the softest silk, Selvina slipped beneath the thick blankets, gazed down the room at the crackling fireplace, and slowly closed her eyes. "I'll ask her tomorrow," she promised aloud before sleep took her.

****

The next morning came quickly and a silent servant had delivered Selvina some food and drink on a tray at her bedside. She ate the breakfast of eggs, ham, and freshly squeezed juice, before getting dressed. This took longer than she had anticipated as everything hanging in her walk-in closet looked so beautiful she wanted to try it all. She eventually settled for an emerald skirt and blouse, white shoes, and a pair of glittering ruby earrings. It was elegantly simple attire but she loved how she looked and hope that both the empress and her general did as well.

Within the closet was also a vanity with a large, round mirror. Grabbing an ivory brush, Selvina disposed of any stray strands or tangles in her hair and then decided to braid it all into one large French braid. As she carefully worked her hair she wondered what such a braid would be called in Faeryum, as France didn't exist. Frenis seemed to show similarities, she thought, thinking of the Cathedral of Our Lady. This, of course, reminded her of when she and Jack had snuck into it, encountered Quasimodo, and were nearly caught by Judge Frollo. The entire event had been a rush and a thrill that, overall, she had enjoyed and it made her smile forlornly, her thoughts flooded with images of Jack.

She was finishing the last loops in the braid when there was a knock on the closed door.

"Who is it?" Selvina asked, one part curious and the other part worried. She still didn't completely trust the empress and kept expecting some terrible event to take fold.

"Lady Selvina," spoke an unfamiliar voice from beyond the door, "the Dragon Empress Rhiannon the Liberator, First of her Name, Founder of Noyr, Savior of all Races, Destroyer of Evil, Bringer of Freedom and Blessed Soldier of Iktarosh has requested your audience at the Royal Lifts. I was sent to escort you there."

Well that's a mouthful of a name, Selvina thought dryly as she finished her braid. Standing up and giving herself a once over, she replied, "I'll be right there!" With another smile at herself in the mirror, Selvina hurried to the door.

A castle attendant gave her a bow and then stood at the ready. Selvina noticed the man's pointed ears beside a head of dark hair and smiled.

"Right this way, my lady," he said politely, sweeping a hand out toward the end of the hall.