Chapter 46: The True Answer

Accolon had arrived accompanied by a dozen or so other riders and together they helped stop Amalthea's bleeding and patched the wound. The only spellcaster among them was adept in destructive forms of magic and was no use in healing. The unicorn was barely alive but they carried her to a supply cart and placed her upon it. Selvina climbed up into the cart and stayed by the unicorn's side at all times. Tinkerbelle sprinkled a little fairy dust on the cart to lighten the load, allowing the horse pulling it to do so at increased speed.

The group of riders soon entered the city to be confronted by a furious queen, flanked by her surviving guards and soldiers. One of her arms hung limply, her face was a mess and her hair was wild and unkempt. She was breathing heavily through a bloody mouth and her blue eyes were flaring with intensity. Had anyone but Legatus Accolon been there she probably would have killed them.

"Give me the bitch," she said through clenched teeth, staring icy daggers at Selvina sitting in the cart. "Give her to me, Accolon. She did this to me. This all her fault!"

Fortunately for Selvina, she had given a brief retelling of the events to Accolon on their way to the city and the elf narrowed his eyes at the queen. "I was told of a situation developing here in Corbeau. It was a situation that was caused by you yourself, your majesty. I was under the impression that you had returned to your kingdom. Why are you yet here?"

"I didn't need to go back! Sworden is fine! SHE ATTACKED ME!"

"Only because you threatened me first!" Selvina shot back from the cart, feeling safe surrounded by Accolon and his men.

"LIES! She lies, Accolon! She is but a filthy, lying peasant girl hired to replace me!"

Accolon raised an eyebrow and exchanged an amused grin with the rider beside him. "Your highness, you are mistaken. Selvina is not here to become a queen. She is here for far more noble reasons."

"That's what she told you. You can't believe a word she says." Svala was breathing more heavily and wiped the blood off her lips with her free hand, wincing at the movement. "I am a queen, legatus, and I outrank you. Give me Selvina. Now."

"I will do no such thing, your highness. As a queen you may outrank me, but this is not Sworden. Here, I am the regent of the empire until the empress returns. I say Selvina remains here, and my statement stands."

Queen Svala eyed Accolon with seething malice and Selvina suddenly feared for the elf's life. Would the queen attack him? Here? In front of everyone? She'd start a war with Noyr. Would she be that stupid?

"I will not be denied my vengeance, elf."

Accolon's expression hardened and Selvina found her fear switching over to Svala, wondering if she had any power over the leader of Noyr's armies. She glanced down at Amalthea and placed her hand on her bandaged body, worried at its coolness. This delay was costing them. Something had to be done and now or Amalthea would die.

"My armour is resistant to magic, I bear a blade capable of withstanding spells and cutting through solid rock. Fly one of your snowflakes my way, child, and I will be forced to defend myself. My men all wear the same armour and will not hesitate to assist me if you threaten my life. I am in command here, queen Svala, and I say Selvina comes with me. Now get out of my way or I will force myself through."

Queen Svala eyed her bruised and battered bodyguards, noticed the musketmen she had entombed in ice, and winced as her broken arm moved slightly. She eyed Accolon and his healthy riders, grimaced, and, with extreme reluctance, stepped out of the way.

Selvina didn't look at her as they passed but she could feel the queen's icy glare on her back the entire time. This was by no means over. The vindictive queen would return into her life soon enough, that much was certain. Selvina found herself hoping that day happened when the empress was there beside her.