Chapter 8: The Water

Selvina, Red, Belle, and Bigbad stood at the edge of the Troll Swamps, gazing out across the wide expanse of murky, green water dotted with stunted trees and mounds of dirt and grass. A lazy mist blanketed the water and far in the distance the dark silhouettes of tall cypress trees poked up out of the haze, like blunt, shadowy fingers reaching for the light.

Selvina glanced at Red and she smiled back at her.

"It's just like the first day we met him," the redhead said, gazing up at the sky. "It was cloudy then, though."

Red nodded before swatting at one of the many biting insects that braved the cooler temperatures, hoping for a last taste of blood before the winter frost banished them for months. "Too bad Tinkerbelle isn't here to keep these damned bugs away."

"Where is she anyway?"

"She was watching Cindy train," Selvina replied before smacking her arm, successfully killing a mosquito and making a mess on her palm.

"I can't blame her for doing so," Belle said, rubbing her arms as a cold breeze rushed past. "It really is a pleasure to watch."

Selvina nodded in agreement. "It really is. I just keep forgetting to put my elf-arrow away. Now they have Ruslan basically pat me down before I get too close."

Red and Belle chuckled.

"At least you don't have to strip down," Red said with a shrug and a tilt of her head.

"Yeah, not happening," Selvina stated firmly.

Belle stood straighter and narrowed her eyes as she peered into the fog. "I think something is coming."

Selvina gazed in the same direction and smiled. "Yup, that's him. Looks like Jim is with him too."

Over a hundred yards away, deep into the mist was a silhouette of a wide, flat object topped with a larger rectangular one. Selvina knew it to be a sailed raft. She couldn't see the occupants but she was certain one of them was Huckleberry Finn and the other was his best friend Jim.

As they waited for the raft to approach, Selvina asked, "Belle, did you ever talk to Merlin about you and Beast?"

Belle took a moment to reply. When she did, her voice was quiet. "No..."

"Why not?" Red inquired, eyeing the brunette.

Belle inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. "I'm rather nervous to do so..."

"Why?" Selvina asked with a raised eyebrow. "Isn't it what you always wanted?"

"It is! Both Beast and I want to know if there is a way to give us our own bodies but...Merlin is our last hope. Empress Rhiannon won't help us since we fought against the trolls so there's no use asking her. If we ask Merlin and he says no...then..." Belle shrugged and sighed. "Then I guess we'll just have to accept the fact that we'll always share one body. We have a home now and people that aren't afraid of us and actually like us—both of us. I could have never imagined that ever happening and we are both so grateful for it all. It's just..."

"It would be nice to at least touch one another, right?" Selvina finished softly.

Belle nodded. "Seeing you with Jack makes me jealous, I have to admit."

Selvina didn't miss the glance Red sent her way. Still looking at Belle, she said, "Well, if you don't want me to do those kinds of things in front of you I can try."

Belle immediately began shaking her head before Selvina was even finished talking. "No, Selvina, don't even think that way. You and Jack are perfect for each other and have every right to showcase your love to the world. Don't worry about me and Beast. We've managed this far and whatever happens we'll keep on doing so."