Chapter 44: Fighting the Odds

The dragon came from the south, behind the Avalonian ships. As it dove out of the clouds it let out another guttural roar that had all heads turning. With one great beat of its leathery wings, the black-scaled beast leveled off and flew toward the distant supply ships. They had followed the fleet to help with repairs, food, and other supplies and would prove integral in offering aid to the people of Frenis once the blockades were broken. They were large cargo ships with little armament.

They fell quickly to the dragon's flames.

The black dragon shot out a stream of red fire at the cargo ships, burning away their sails, charring their hulls, and roasting their sailors alive. Dozens, scores, and then hundreds of sailing men lost their lives in a few minutes of devastating violence. The dragon hovered in the air, beating its wings hard, fanning the flames and ensured there were no survivors. When all the ships were engulfed, it flew alongside them and slashed at their weakened hulls with its tail, gouging huge holes in their sides. Water seeped into the damaged hulls and before long all burning ships were sinking to the dark depths of the Cerulean Sea.

"It's her, isn't it?" Jack managed to ask Hook, his body growing colder the longer he stared at the massacre. "It's the empress."

Hook nodded, his face paler than usual. "It is indeed."

With the supply ships rid of, the dragon empress gained some altitude and surveyed the battle, which had paused at her arrival. Jack could hear the Noyran sailors cheering and, once they determined the dragon was an ally, the Swordenish joined them. Reinvigorated and feeling confident in their chances, the enemy ships resumed battle, blasting several unanswered volleys into Avalonian hulls. The Avalonian captains, somewhat recovering from their shock at the dragon's appearance, retaliated but they had lost their momentum and focus and many shots went awry.

That was when Empress Rhiannon attacked again.

Jack and Hook could only stand and watch as she dove toward the westernmost row of Avalonian ships. Neatly arrayed in a perfect line, she had to simply fly over them once to cover them all in flames. She dove over them a second time, her fiery breath engulfing canvas, wood, and flesh in moments. Black smoke rose behind her, darkening the sky and choking the breath out of the few survivors on the burning wrecks.

"We need to leave," Hook said. "We need to get out of here now!"

"We can't outrun her!" Jack argued, glancing at the dragon empress as she soared overheard, admiring the destruction she had caused.

"We can't fight her, either, Jack!" Hook then turned to his terrified crew and shouted to get their attention. "Listen up, lads! Tear your gazes away from that infernal beast and listen to me! We have the wind at our backs and we're only a few days sail from Frenisian shores. I say we open sail and get our asses out of here as quickly as we can. I know it feels like running from battle but we can either stay here and burn to ash or sail away and fight another day. What shall it be?"

Not a moment later, Hook's crew set about opening all sails available and setting the Julia's Revenge on a northward course toward Frenis. They'd pass through enemy vessels in their way but with the wind at their backs there was no other choice.

Julia's Revenge sliced through the water at top speed as battle waged all around them. Jack watched as three Noyran frigates surrounded a stranded Avalonian fourth rate and destroyed its hull with combined fire. The larger ship listed on her side and eventually capsized, sending all men overboard. A Swordenish sloop lost its battle against an Avalonian brig but it was avenged when a Noyran third rate fired a full broadside volley at it, the brig exploding in a fireball of death.

The dragon empress set her eyes on the easternmost line of Avalonian warships, the one closest to Hook's frigate. She roared, spread her wings wide, and dove, her golden eyes set on another neat row of doomed prey.