Chapter 41: Helpless

Selvina wiped the tears from her eyes for the umpteenth time since returning to her room. She had struggled to say something about Jack to Rhiannon but worried it may just make things worse. As terrible punishment for freeing Amalthea, the empress may seek out the ship Jack was on and ensure it was destroyed fully with no survivors. Selvina thought she was probably overthinking it but she didn't fully know the empress. She had always seemed so much in control but after discovering her plans, Selvina had her doubts.

Giving life to a god? It was a remarkable endeavor but one that could yield unwelcome results. Amalthea was certain Iktarosh would turn on Rhiannon and Selvina found herself agreeing with the unicorn woman. King Arthur had no good things to say about the god of conquest and what better way to begin his conquest than to claim the world's strongest nation as his own? In order to do that Iktarosh would have to kill its leader...which did not put Rhiannon in a good place.

But, Selvina, reminded herself, Rhiannon had been adamant and assured that all events would happen as intended. Even if they didn't, she had plans for that as well.

All the thoughts of Iktarosh steered Selvina's mind back to the empress and subsequently where she was presently heading. Tears built up and dripped freely down the young woman's face but she didn't care.

She stood outside on her room's balcony, leaning into the balustrade and watching her tears drip down the hundreds of feet to the ground, landing somewhere at the base of the gigantic castle.

"I should have stopped her," she said aloud, still looking down. "I should have told her to stay."

Amalthea stood nearby, silent as a statue, her expression solemn. She stepped towards Selvina and spoke softly. "She is the empress of Noyr, Selvina, and thus has a duty to defend her nation. She did not leave to endanger Jack's life. She left to stop a fleet belonging to her rivals. There is nothing you could have done to stop her."

"I could have done something, Amalthea!" Selvina slammed a fist on the stone balustrade, not feeling the pain. "I could have threatened to kill myself or something. I could have given her no choice!"

"She would have placed you somewhere where you couldn't hurt yourself and gone anyway. I worry for Jack's life as well, Selvina, and it pains me to see you in such torment. Was I stronger I may be able to reach out to Jack but even so, it would have done little."

"Why do you say that?" Selvina asked with a frown. "It would have warned him the empress was coming! He could have the ship break away from the fleet and be safe!"

"Would the captain believe him?"

"Hook would, Amalthea. I know you've never met him but he's like a second father to Jack. If Jack said that you had warned him about Rhiannon's arrival Hook would do something about it."

Amalthea sighed sadly. "In that case, I am even more saddened."

"Are you sure you can't reach him? Have you tried?"

Amalthea eyed Selvina and nodded slowly. "I have... I nearly faint with every attempt. I am sorry..."

Tink fluttered in and landed on Selvina's shoulder. "If I flew faster I'd go warn him. Captain Hook is talented, Selvina. I'm sure he'll save his ship and his crew, including Jack, when he sees the empress."

"He attacked her when she was in Arababyl," Selvina said. "If she sees him there she might head straight for him and sink his ship first." A fresh onslaught of sobs assaulted Selvina and for several minutes she could do nothing but weep. "I'll never see him again!"

"Don't say that," pleaded Tinkerbelle. "It's a fleet, Selvina. The chances of Rhiannon recognizing Hook among all those other ships and captains are slim. You'll see Jack again."