Chapter 43: Center of Focus

Jack launched himself out of the crow's nest and onto the top yard, ducking just in time as two iron balls connected by a few links of chain spun over his head. The battle was in full swing and after crippling, sinking, and defeating four Noyran sloops, a frigate, and one Swordenish brig, Julia's Revenge was catching the eye of the enemy. Captain Hook was in his element and his ship and crew became an extension of his will. They could read his next actions and amid the cracks, booms, and shouts of battle, orders were completed without pause. With Jack's sharp eye and battlefield awareness, Julia's Revenge could assist allies and secure engagements with minimal damage taken.

A Swordenish frigate, one of its last ones, was trading blows with Julia's Revenge and was proving to be a good challenge. Jack watched as clouds of smoke puffed out of the ship's portside moments before Julia's Revenge took several hits into her hull. Splinters of wood burst out of her side and splashed into the water, the ship's armour slowly chipping away from constant battle.

With an even match, victory depended upon the skill of the crew and the captain's experience. Jack trusted Captain Hook to overcome this foe but he wondered if Julia's Revenge would be fit enough to continue fighting. Her port side, the one facing the current foe, was heavily battered but holding strong, courtesy of the crew working furiously to patch up any new leaks. That wouldn't last forever, Jack knew, but gazing from his elevated position, he could see that the other ship wasn't faring well either. Both captains were stubborn and neither wanted to relent or surrender.

Another chain shot flew by, the sudden flash and woosh of its passing nearly making Jack fall off. There isn't anything for me to do up here, he thought as he regained his footing. I wonder if Cap needs me somewhere else. With unmatched skill, Jack climbed down the main mast and was on the deck within moments. He hurried to Captain Hook, who stood on the quarterdeck with a spyglass to his eye while the helmsman steered the ship.

"Cap," he called as he approached. "Is there any way I can help? It's too loud to guide you from the crow's nest and the enemy is all around us; you don't need my eyes to tell you that."

Captain Hook lowered his spyglass and gave Jack a nod, his expression one of concentration and deep thought. "Good to have you with me, Jack. Things aren't the best right now, but they could be worse. We have a determined foe here but I'm confident we can stop him." He peered into his spyglass again and gazed beyond the enemy frigate. "The ships of the line are faring well, though not without some loss."

"Are we winning?"

"It looks that way. The admiral, as much as it pains me to say, knows what he's doing." Hook then lowered his spyglass and offered it to Jack. "Look yonder. See the enemy between our men o' war? Most are missing sails and some have already surrendered. Three are in flames. Notice how our own are scarcely damaged?"

"Brace for impact!"

Hook and Jack, accustomed to the call, dropped to the deck and flattened themselves as much as they could. A second later, the ship shuddered as pieces of Julia's Revenge exploded all around them, some of the wooden chunks tumbling onto Jack and Hook, scratching and scraping. Jack thanked his leather armour for taking the worst of it, but winced as he stood up, his right leg sporting a new cut. He quickly glanced at the ship's deck and noted that some crewmen had been injured in the attack and one had died, his head cleanly severed from a cannonball.

"Return volley!" Hook shouted loudly, making Jack jump in surprise.

Like a raging thunderstorm, Julia's Revenge fired her shots in vicious retaliation, the entire ship vibrating from the power of the volley. It scored some direct hits and sent several enemy sailors overboard. There was an initial cheer but it grew even louder as everyone witnessed one of the enemy's masts cracking at the base and falling over like a freshly sawn tree. It splashed into the water with a crash and dragged several sailors along with it.