Chapter 10: The Second Parting

Selvina grunted as she lifted her heavily laden pack over her shoulders and walked out of her room in one of Maron's undamaged inns. Waiting outside for her was Cindy, Red, and Jack. They too all had packs filled and ready to go.

"If you wanted to bring the entire inn with you, hot stuff, you could have just asked Beast," Jack said with a raised eyebrow.

Selvina shot him a look and straightened herself, showing him she could bear the weight. It nearly unbalanced her, however, and she stumbled back a few steps.

Jack laughed. "Do you need a hand?"

"I'm fine," Selvina grunted as she bent forward slightly, gaining balance.

"Now you look like a hunched-over old lady."

Selvina sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Let's go!" Cindy exclaimed, hopping up and down. "Uncle Ruslan said we can't wait too long or the winter seas will make it impossible to sail."

"Yeah, Cap said the same thing," Jack said, getting down to business.

Selvina eyed him worriedly. "Are you going to be safe going with him, Jack?"

Jack shrugged one shoulder. "Well, not really. We're heading to battle, Selvina."

"Can't you stay here?"

Jack walked up to her and held her hands in his. Despite his horrible jokes, Selvina loved him deeply and wanted to come back to him when her duties in Kenmard were over.

"The captain asked me if I would come along with him and I'm not going to abandon him," he said softly. "He'll be sailing a war frigate so he'll be tasked with covering the larger ships of the line from any of the smaller enemy ships trying to cripple them. We won't be taking the brunt of the attacks. We'll be fine."

Selvina took a deep breath and nodded slowly. "I hope so, Jack."

Red cleared her throat. "Selvina, Jack."

They glanced at her and she nodded to the side, where Cindy was already walking down the road to Maron's southern gate.

Jack gave Selvina a wink before taking her hand and following Cindy. "I suppose we should get going."

They exited the city and were soon surrounded by Avalonian military tents and pavilions. A horse-drawn wagon awaited them with Ruslan at the reins. They deposited their bags in the wagon, breathing sighs of relief, and then climbed aboard.

"Are you all ready?" Ruslan asked from the front.

Cindy climbed over the bench and sat beside him, giving him a nod. "Yes, now let's go already!"

"Wait!"

Everyone looked back to see Merlin approaching the wagon, his gnarled staff in one hand and a pleading expression on his bearded, weathered face. His eyes were on Selvina.

"I am sorry to say this, Selvina, but I think it unwise if you leave the protection of the camp. There will be bounty hunters and assassins out for your head and it is far too dangerous for you to be sailing off with the Black Knight's destruction still fresh on everyone's minds."

Selvina eyed her friends in disbelief and then frowned at Merlin. "You can't tell me what to do! I want to go with Cindy to Kenmard!"

"I know this, Selvina, but you are far too important to be taking needless risks. I am doing this for the good of Faeryum, please try to understand that."

Selvina crossed her arms over her chest and didn't move from her seat. "Everything will be fine, Merlin. I have Ruslan and Cindy with me, as well as the guards you said would be coming with us. Nothing is going to happen."