The Party

Rory and Olivia sat slumped against the bath tub, waiting for the test to come through.

"What are you gonna do? If you are?" Rory asked her sister tentatively.

"I'm gonna keep it, obviously. But I'm not ready yet, though, Rory. I'm not ready to be a mom! I'm 22, I've just started my job, I can't raise a kid as well," Liv croaked, "I don't know how Jess will react, either."

"He'll support you, no matter what. He's good, Liv, and he loves you," Rory told her.

"He does. And Logan loves you. Which is why I'm gonna give him a chance," Liv confessed.

"You are?" When Liv nodded her head, Rory grinned, "Thank you, so much."

"It'll be easier, you know? Although, I will miss having someone to argue with all the time," Liv joked.

The two girls sat in a comfortable silence surrounded by dread and anticipation.

—————————————————

Meanwhile, Logan sat at the desk in the guest room he shared with Rory, staring at his phone. He hoped it wouldn't buzz, prayed it wouldn't receive a text.

But it did.

I need to see you. Tomorrow, at our place.

E xox

He read the text, promptly deleting it, then groaned in frustration, throwing it across the room. He was fed up, fed up of the lying. He couldn't do it for much longer.

He didn't want to hurt Rory, but he knew it was too late.

————————————————

"You're going to...propose?" Lorelai said, slowly, trying to wrap her head around his words.

"If you're ok with it," Jess explained.

"If I'm ok with it?" She repeated, "And you're sure this is what you want? That you're not going to get bored of her and run away with a hooker and permanently vacate to Vegas?" Lorelai checked.

"No, Lorelai. I love Liv so much, I want to spend the rest of my life with her. Even if a hooker did offer to run away with me, I'd stay with her. I want to marry her." He stated, confidently masking the terror that ate away inside him.

The three of them stood in silence for a few seconds.

"Can I see the ring?" Lorelai asked.

"Erm, of course," Jess agreed, slightly confused. He opened the box and showed her.

"That's beautiful, Jess," Lorelai exclaimed, "And I guess you can marry Liv," she smiled.

He mirrored her expression.

—————————————————

"You look. I can't, Ror," Liv pleaded when time was up.

After squeezing her hand supportively, Rory lent forward at looked at the stick.

She exhaled.

"You're not pregnant, Liv. It's negative," Rory told her.

"I'm not?" Liv asked, "Thank God. Is it wrong that I'm happy?"

"No, Liv, you aren't ready yet. And you don't need to be," Rory smiled.

"I don't understand. I'm 3 weeks late, and I'm craving all things orange. Orange juice, orange sweets, orange...oranges, I hate orange!" Liv ranted.

"I don't know, that's weird. You really hate orange. But it's like moms pregnancy scare, with the apples. Maybe you just want oranges and you're just late?" Rory said lamely.

"Maybe," Liv shrugged, "Come on, there's 1 hour until the party and I'm not even ready."

——————————————————

Luke and Lorelai walked out of the pool house to the party in the main house. Lorelai wore a blue dress, and Luke had a black suit with a tie matching Lorelai's dress (not his choice).

"You're really sure that you're ok with Jess proposing?" Luke asked her.

"Of course. They've been together for years, it was bound to happen. And I'm happy for them, honestly," Lorelai smiled.

"Good. They really love each other."

"Yeah, they do," Lorelai agreed.

When they reached the house, Jess and Liv were hovering by the door, trying to go unnoticed.

"Hey hon, who are we hiding from?" Lorelai asked her daughter.

"I don't know, she's old and won't leave us alone. She's cornered us 4 times so far, and each time my names changed. I've been Georgia, Grace, Geraldine and Alice," Liv whispered.

"Not even close, as well," Lorelai laughed, "That's Emily's second cousin's cousin twice removed."

"Complicated," Jess smirked, "At least she got your gender right. I've been Liam, Gerald, Eric and Jemima."

"Hide!" Liv gasped, trying to duck behind the curtain.

"Julia, James, darlings, I thought I'd lost you!"

"You're on your own, Jules and Jimmy," Lorelai smirked, grabbing Luke's hand and running towards the bar.

—————————————————

"Grandpa, the party's wonderful," Rory exclaimed.

"It's amazing, Richard, I'm impressed," Logan agreed.

"Thank you both. Emily spent weeks planning it, I'm not surprised how well it is going," Richard explained, "though, I do wish she hadn't invited that cousin's cousin of hers. 40 years and she still doesn't know my name."

Rory laughed aloud, "Yes, you're lucky tonight, Grandpa, she seems to be obsessed with Liv and Jess."

"Poor things! Please excuse me, I have to go and make a speech," Richard smiled.

He walked to the staircase and stood on the bottom one, slightly raising him above everyone else, "Could I have your attention please?" He boomed. The room went silent and turned their attention to their host, "I'd like to thank everyone for coming this evening, to celebrate the anniversary of my marriage to my wife, Emily," he smiled at where she was stood, a few metres away, "We've had many years together, and have made a wonderful family: Our daughter, Lorelai, and our granddaughters Rory and Olivia. These 40 years have been wonderful, Emily, and here's to many more," he raised his glass and everyone returned the action with a cheer.

In the corner of the room, Liv was stood holding Jess' hand, "Imagine being married to someone for that long. That could be us one day," Liv mused.

Lorelai and Luke turned to the pair, smiling, and subtly got everyone to copy them.

Jess inhaled, nervously, "Yes, it could," he reached into his back pocket and pulled out the box, "Olivia Gilmore," he said, lowering himself down on one knee, "We've been together 6 years, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

Everyone watched, gasping, smiling and gaping.

Olivia gasped, staring at Jess.

Cliff hanger! I just realised that I started this story in the POV of Olivia, but have changed it since. I think it's easier to do it in 3rd person so I can tell the story properly. Will update soon! Xoxo