Questions and Answers

The guests waited in anticipation. Jess' heart was racing. Why isn't she answering?

Olivia stood looking down at him, her head pounding. She wanted to say yes. She wanted to.

"Can we talk? In private?" She asked, nervously.

Jess' heart dropped. This is it. She's gonna dump me. I'll have brought this ring for nothing and humiliated myself in front of at least 50 people I've never seen in my life.

"Sure," he replied, meekly.

He stood up, shoving the box into his jacket pocket, and followed her out. He could feel his cheeks heating up as he made his way through the mass, as they looked at his sympathetically, pitifully, and he hated it. Rory and Logan were stood by the door that they walked through, looking sorrowful.

He shut the door behind them and when the music started back up, Liv turned to him, tearfully.

"I thought I was pregnant," she blurted out.

Jess froze, taken aback, "But you're not?"

"No, but I thought I was. Jess, I was so scared. Me and Rory were sat waiting for the result on the test, and all I could think was, I'm not ready, and I'm happy with how things are. Me and you, we're happy. We don't need a baby. We don't need anything to be different. I'm not ready, Jess. I don't think I will be for a long time," Liv rambled.

"But you want it one day, right? That's what you said out there, when Richard was talking," he stuttered, hopefully.

Liv stares at the ground, "I don't know what I want. And I don't know who I want it with," she murmured.

As soon as those words left her mouth, Jess felt his heart shatter. He knew it was too good to be true, where they were, how they were. Rapidly, he blinked back tears. He was so sure she was going to say yes, that she loved him.

"Fine," he said, "be at the apartment between 9 and 11 in the morning. Get your stuff and leave."

He turned, and walked out, his face cold, and his expression disguised. Everyone looked at him as he walked out, and he wanted to shout out them to stop staring, but he couldn't.

Liv sunk down to the floor, confused. It was all because of that pregnancy scare, so much had happened, she couldn't process it all at once.

Rory and Lorelai walked in hesitantly as she started sobbing. They rushed to her side, and comforted her.

"I love him, mom. What have I done?"

—————————————————

In his apartment, Jess sat at the table, nursing his 11th beer, staring intensely at the ring.

He thought he'd done it, got his life together, met the girl of his dreams, was happy. But it was too good to be true, that was obvious now.

If he was 6 years younger, he would've blamed his mom. Liz was never a good role model, could never keep a guy for more than a week. Or maybe his dad. Jimmy had never been there, never shown him how to be a gentleman.

But even they had their life together. They were married, Liz had TJ and they had Doulah. Even Jimmy had a step kid.

And what did Jess have? Nothing. No one.

He threw the bottle at the wall, and watched the bottle smash into tiny pieces, and the dregs of the beer trickle down the wall.

—————————————————

The following morning, Jess left his apartment at 8, and Liv arrived there with Rory and Luke at 9:00.

"You ready?" Rory asked.

"Let's just get it over with," Liv sighed.

As the three entered the apartment, they noticed the stain on the wall, and were met with the overwhelming stench of beer.

Luke and Rory looked at Liv, expecting her to say something, to get mad, but she simply shrugged and said it wasn't her problem.

1 and a half hours later, all of her stuff was packed and loaded in Luke's truck. They called in at Liv's school, and she handed in her resignation, despite only having worked there for 2 days.

As they drove through the city, Liv thought she had seen Jess three times, but wasn't sure if she was hallucinating.

Jess had seen her four times.

Hey guys! I hated writing this chapter, but I didn't want her to say yes and that's it! I needed to put some drama in ;) don't worry, next chapter will be better, promise! Will update soon xox