Girls' Night

"Daughter! Open the door!" Lorelai called in.

No answer.

"Hey! Let us in! We have sweets and wine — for us, not you — and movies and, erm, ice cream!" Lorelai shouted.

No answer.

"Open sesame?" Rory tried.

The door flew open and Liv smiled, flushed and her hair frizzy around her head and her eyes rimmed with red, "I'm sorry, I was upstairs, and..."

Lorelai wiggled her eyebrows, "upstairs, huh?"

"I went upstairs, after watching One Tree Hill the whole day, to find my shoes to walk over to the diner. Wait, why are you here?" Liv asked, puzzled.

"For our girls' night!" Lorelai said, the word 'duh' somehow lacing itself through her words.

"I thought I was coming to the diner? Jess can't go over there; he can't get up the stairs!" Liv exclaimed.

Lorelai's smile faltered, "Oh, shoot!"

"Mom! I told you that when we left but you said I was wrong!" Rory sighed.

"Come on, we'll go back and send Luke over here with the boys," Liv laughed.

Jess came in, using his crutches and greeted his mother and sister in law. Or aunt and step cousin. He didn't know what they were calling each other nowadays, "aren't you staying at the diner?"

"Mom got it wrong," Liv teased.

"Nuh uh!" She whined childishly, "I was...testing you!"

"Yeah, testing our patience," Rory retorted, "we'll send Luke over when we get back to the diner," she said to Jess before leaving.

Liv turned to him, "right, so you gotta take one of each tablet at 7 tonight and then again at 11."

"I will," he smiled.

"Keep that leg up, you don't want your ankle to swell," she said.

"Leg up, swell down. Got it."

"Don't be mean to Luke," she pointed.

"As hard as that may be, I will try my best," Jess smirked.

"And..." She began, but he stopped her by kissing her softly.

"Babe, I will be fine," he reassured her.

She raised an eyebrow, "Yeah, Liv he'll be fine, so let's go!"

"God, you're a child!" She teased, before kissing Jess again, "call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay. Now go before your mom wets herself or something," he smirked.

"I've been potty trained longer than you, mister," she narrowed her eyes at him, "but yeah, let's go."

"See you," Liv said, before closing the door.

Jess made his way to the sofa and sat down cautiously, "freedom."

————————————————

The girls walked into the diner and Luke looked up at them, puzzled, "where's Jess?"

"The place you're going to," Lorelai smiled, "Rory and you were right...we're gonna have our night here and you're going to the house with the boys..."

"But I have loads of customers now!" Luke huffed.

"Caesar and Zack are big boys, they can look after the diner on their own," Lorelai shrugged, "you know, Zack needs to do proper work, not sit and look after the boys. Thanks, by the way."