You Promised Me

Emily Gilmore was sat in the ambulance next to where her husband was lay motionless. Her posture was as it usually was, and her face a shield in front of her emotions.

If anyone were to ask her how she was, she would look at them like they were mental, and say she were fine. That Richard was going to be fine because he promised her that she can go first.

Inside, she was a mess. Yes, the Emily Gilmore was a mess. Because he promised her she could go first.

————————————————

Everyone sat in the waiting room, hugging or holding hands or making some form of comforting contact while they waited for a nurse to come and tell them what was going on.

Luke's eyes were trained on the floor. He hated hospitals.

Livs eyes were closed and her head buried in Jess' shoulder. She'd had enough of hospitals.

But it was silent, and that was the worst part of it. It was silent and there was no distraction from what happened. Not even Lorelai could find a comment that could possibly lighten the mood, so she concentrated on holding Luke's hand and resting her other hand on her bump.

Rory was holding her sisters hand, and her other was on top of Logan's which was sat on her knee.

The door opened, and Emily stood up immediately.

"What's going on? I want to see my husband," she demanded.

"Mrs Gilmore, your husband is still unconscious. We still running tests. You can't see him yet," she explained.

"How is he?" Lorelai asked from her seat.

"He's still unstable. We can't predict when he will wake up," she said.

Liv bit her lip, and felt Jess' arm tighten around her while Rory's grip loosened, "when can we see him?" She said, shakily.

"I'm not sure yet, tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. I advise you all go home, sleep and come back tomorrow. We will call if there is any change," the nurse walked back into Richards room.

Everyone stayed quiet for a minute until Emily spoke up, "Rory, Logan, Olivia and Jess you should go, and come back tomorrow. You too Luke and Lorelai."

Lorelai looked at Luke and stood up, "I'll stay here with you mom. Everyone else should go, I'll call if there's any change."

Jess stood up and pushed Liv to Emily and Lorelai.

"If you need anything mom—" Liv started.

"I'll call you. Go home, sweet," Lorelai stroked her hair and Emily bent down to hug her before Jess pushed her out of the hospital.

When they had left, Rory and Logan went to say goodbye. The two Lorelai's hugged and the elder one whispered in her daughters ear that it was going to be ok, before they took their leave.

Lorelai went and sat back next to her husband, "Babe, you can go if you want."

Luke looked around for a second before grabbing Lorelai's hand, "I'm going nowhere. Someone needs to keep you two from— well, putting the other in one of these rooms."

They sat for hours, waiting for any news, and movement from his room. It was early morning before a nurse emerged.

"Mrs Gilmore? I can let you in for five minutes, but only you. He's still unconscious, but we have managed to stabilise him for the time being."

"Thank you," Emily said, standing up. She looked at her daughter, who smiled supportively back at her.

She slowly walked in, and felt herself weaken when she saw how weak he looked. His skin was pasty and he was connected to all kinds of machines with tubes and wires and god knows what else.