Mistakes and Misery

The next evening, Luke shut the diner early and was cooking some burgers and fries and pancakes and all sorts of foods. Liv was rearranging the tables with Jess, which kept leading to arguments about her "poor judgement".

"It'll be much better here," Jess sighed, frustratedly.

"No, it can go here and the food will go on this one and that one," Liv insisted.

"Just do it yourself! It's for your ex boyfriend, not mine!" Jess dropped the table, annoyed and walked out of the diner.

"Everything ok in there Livvy?" Luke called in.

"Just peachy," Liv called back, sarcastically.

Jess didn't come back for the rest of the day, and Liv just went on anyway, out of spite.

6 o'clock came, and Paris and Doyle arrived.

"Hey!" Liv smiled, hugging her friend, "How are you? We haven't seen you for ages! Well, since graduation."

"I'm great, Harvard medical school is amazing," Paris told her, "where's James Dean?"

Liv smiled, "he'll be here later."

"Well well well. If it isn't Paris Geller," Tristin smirked from behind.

"Tristin. Meet Doyle. Doyle this is Tristin," Paris introduced them.

"You know, Doyle, Paris used to be head over heels for me," Tristin smirked.

"You're a giant," Doyle gaped.

"Everyone's a giant compared to you. Where's Rory?" Paris teased him.

"I'm the kitchen, she'll be out in a second," Liv said, watching her friend march her boyfriend (who was still in awe of Tristins height) to the kitchen.

"If he thinks I'm tall, imagine what he'd be like with Daniel," Tristin laughed.

"Dean?" Liv asked.

"Same person," Tristin shrugged, "where is Jess, then?"

"I don't know," Liv sighed, "I'm going to get some air," She walked out of the diner, and sat on the step.

Tristin followed her out, sitting next to her. They sat in silence for a few minutes.

"I love this town. I've been thinking and I've decided to move here," Tristin announced.

"That's great," Liv smiled.

They settled into a comfortable silence again.

"I think..." Tristin started.

"Think what?" Liv asked.

"I think I still love you," Tristin confessed.

"You...you loved me?" Liv gaped.

"Love. All week, I've tried to talk myself out of it. You're with Jess. I know you are. But I can't help it, not one bit. Over the years, I've been a player, trying to forget you, Liv. Hitler, as you call her, has tried to set me up with a million girls, and none of them have been good enough. And now I know why. Because I've been comparing them to you," Tristin explained.

Liv raked a hand through her hair, "Tristin. I-I loved you. But you hurt me, and I don't know if I can go through that ever again. I love Jess now. The last thing I wanna do is hurt him-" Liv said, "I need to find him," she sighed, standing up.

She walked through the town, guided by the street lights. Her head was spinning. Tristin still loved her. She loved Jess. Jess loved her. She was engaged to him! But there was still something...there.