You Are Enough

"I'm happy to report it was aftershocks of the miscarriage. Thankfully, these will not affect Hayley in any permanent way."

"Unfortunately, Mr DuGray, we've found some rather alarming signs and we will have to keep Hayley in for further testing."

"I'm sorry, Mr DuGray. There were some...complications. She didn't make it."

Tristin sat, shakily, in the seat next to Hayley's bed, after kissing her softly on the head.

"Mr DuGray, Miss Jones, I've been looking at both the results of the tests from earlier, and also your medical history. I think I may know what's causing these," the doctor explained.

Tristin nodded, "what is it, doc?"

"My theory may be incorrect, and I don't want to worry you..."

Hayley cleared her throat, "can you just tell us? We can take it."

The doctor smiled at her, "some of the signs you have are pointing to—" the doctor began.

"Ovarian cancer?" Hayley supplied.

The doctor looked at her, shocked, "that is what I was going to say. How did you know?"

Hayley shrugged slightly, looking down at her and Tristin's hands intertwined, "after the miscarriage, I thought I would look some things up."

"Miss Jones, you may not have ovarian cancer, and if you do, it's not a guaranteed lifeline," the doctor told her.

"Will we be able to have kids? In the future, if she does have..." Tristin trailed off.

"Not naturally. But we have programmes to help you have children, if that's what you'd like," the doctor told them, "but for now, I've booked you in for some scans, and we'd like to keep you in for a couple of nights to keep an eye on you."

"Ok," Hayley nodded.

"I'll leave you two alone for a little," The doctor smiled, walking out.

The two sat in silence for a little, not knowing what to say.

"You want kids a lot, don't you?" Hayley asked.

"Don't worry about that for now," Tristin told her.

"You brought it up," Hayley snapped. She pulled her hand out of his.

"Hayley!" Tristin said, confused, "I was just asking. For the future."

"I was thinking about t earlier, and I think I know what to do about that," Hayley muttered, quietly, "I think you should be with someone who can give you what you want."

"What...what do you mean?"

"You want to have kids, right? Tristin, I had a miscarriage. I might have cancer. Even if we do have kids one day, it will only be after several attempts and lots of heartbreak," Hayley explained, "you shouldn't have to go through that."

"Hayley, baby, what are you saying?" Tristin swallowed and felt tears from behind his eyes.

"You should be with someone who can give you what you want," Hayley said without emotion.

"I want you," Tristin said.

"I'm not enough," Hayley told him.

"Yes, you are. You are enough. Please don't do this to me," Tristin begged her.

"Tristin, I think you should leave," she told him.

"No, Hayley," he demanded.

"Tristin. Please," she whispered, sounding weaker than she wanted to.