Priorities

"Come on, baby," Jess said, "you've got this."

Liv stood holding on to the bars, trying to take small steps towards him. She put her left foot in front of the pain, wincing as she did.

"It hurts," she said to the nurse.

"I know. Just try and do a couple, that's all I'm asking," the nurse smiled politely.

"You can do it babe," Jess said.

She took in a shaky breath, putting her weight on the foot in front. She did it again, and again, but on the fourth, her leg gave way underneath her, and Jess ran to catch her before she fell.

"That's enough for today," she said to the nurse, so Jess helped her back into her chair.

"You'll have to come back this time next week to do this again and for some brain tests," the nurse told her as they walked down the corridor.

"Thank you nurse," she said, moaning when she left them, "I'm fed up of hospitals. How is it that it's been two months since I was discharged and I'm still coming up here?"

"It'll be over soon then you won't have to come here again. Not for you anyway," Jess chuckled.

"You're right. Let's go home yeah?" Liv sighed in frustration.

They drive back to the house with Metallica blasting through the speakers.

"Thank you for coming back to come with me today," she said to him.

"I promise I'll be home for good soon. When Chris called me he said it would only be a few days. Liar," he told her, taking his eyes off the road to smile at her.

"Eyes on the road!" She panicked.

"I'm sorry," he said quickly, "I'll be home soon. Anyway, living with your mom can't be that bad?"

"Living with my mom isn't bad. Living with my 5-month pregnant mom whose mood changes every second and gets emotional at the kettle boiling is bad," Liv told him, "she's driving me insane!"

"Why don't I call Chris, tell him I'll be back tomorrow instead? That means Lorelai can go back to the diner and you can have a break," Jess suggested.

"That sounds great," Liv grinned. As much as she loved her mom, she was really getting irritated by her.

They got back and Jess wheeled her inside. Lorelai was sat on the sofa, glaring at the TV.

"Hey mom," Liv called, "woah, what's up with you?"

"There's nothing on!"

"We have films you could've watched...anyway you can go back to the diner tonight if you want," Liv told her.

"Yeah, I'm not going back until tomorrow afternoon so you can go and stay with Luke tonight," Jess explained.

"Are you sure?" Lorelai asked.

"Yes mom, it's fine," Liv told her.

Lorelai grinned, "I'll be back tomorrow," she said to Liv, "Jess, thank you so much for staying I — I need to go before I cry," she sniffed and walked out.

"See! That's what I've had to put up with!" Liv exclaimed, raising her hands in frustration.

Jess laughed, pushing her to the sofa, "Do you want me to put you on the sofa?"

"I've got it," Liv said. She shakily stood up, slowly, quickly plonking down back into her chair, "or not!"

"Come here," he sighed, helping her onto the sofa.