You're my brother

*Not my video, but it's amazing :3 credit to the creator of this incredible edit*

Dean starts the Impala's engine as Sam climbed into the passenger seat, his curiosity growing as they pull away from the house. Dean hummed along to his ever playing classic rock, fingers tapping along on the steering wheel.

Sam just stared out the window quietly, lost deep in thought, something seemed to be hanging between the brothers, heavy in silence despite the music and Deans humming.

His phone buzzed quietly in his pocket, and he found a text from Gabriel lighting up the screen,

Gaybriel: Have fun with your brother, maybe when you get back we can..... Netflix and chill 😉

Rolling his eyes at his phone, Sam huffs lightly in amusement. He loved his annoying trickster. He could feel Dean's eyes on him, but choose to stare out the window rather than meet his gaze.

They had definitely drifted apart over time, especially over this last year ad while Sam really missed his older brother, things had just... changed.

That's why he was so confused about what they were doing today, they hadn't had a 'brothers' day in, well, years.

Finally, they pull into a parking space that Sam immediately recognized, this was actually where he and Gabe had parked that time when they'd run away after Gabriel had stupidly pranked everyone.

Smiling at the memory, Sam eased his long legs out of the car and stood up stretching. He really didn't understand how people could spend hours at a time in the car, just that relatively short drive of 30 minutes or so hurt his legs.

"So, uh, Samm- Sam, do you wanna grab some lunch from the diner?"

Sam looked at his brother curiously, Dean had restrained from calling Sam Sammy, and despite his protest to the youngish sounding nickname, Sam couldn't help but wish Dean would still use it.

Shaking his head at his own confusing thoughts, he nods to Dean and they start walking along in silence.

They soon reached the same diner Sam and Gabe had gone to, and even though he still felt awkward, Sam felt slightly warmed by the memories.

Dean leads him to a both near the back and they stay silent as they scan the menus.

"Hi! What can I get y'all today?" A bubbly waitress bounces up to them, notepad in hand.

Dean flashed her a smile, "I'll have a burger and chips with a black coffee sweetheart."

Rolling his eyes yet again, Sam orders the same.

"What, no rabbit food? Or healthy shake?"

Sam shrugged, "felt like a change."

Dean was staring at him in shock, and Sam realised he'd just spoken for the first time in 4 years to his brother.

"Wow, Sam, you just... you spoke," Dean was looking at his little brother with what looked like a mix of happiness, surprise and pride.

Sam stares at his hands, chewing the inside of his cheek.

"I heard you with Gabriel earlier," his brother admitted gruffly.

There was another long, awkward pause as Sam feels even guiltier when he remembers what Dean could of overheard.

"I uh, I'm happy for you Sam, Gabriel is good for you and to see you happy with him again, well I'm just glad you have this chance."

Clearing his throat, Sam looked up, "I'm s-sorry Dean."