Secrets

>>Mael

I woke up with a mild headache and all the memories from yesterday. As my consciousness came to me, so did the embarrassment. My eyes kept getting wide as I recalled what happened the night before.

My fingers reached up to my lips and I blinked in confusion.

Eli kissed me?

I shot my head toward his bed.

He wasn't there but I kept staring at his empty bed as my heart felt weird and I slid my fingers across my lips.

That kiss, it felt nice...

I shuddered.

What am I doing?!

I turned my head away. Why did Eli kiss me? And why did he say that? I see him every day so what was that about finding him?

I shook my head, ignoring everything that happened the night before and dismissing it all as some nonsense. I walked to the bathroom and began to freshen up when thoughts began to jumble up in my mind.

The water was running in the sink while I stared at my reflection in the mirror, with my toothbrush in my mouth.

There's something weird about Eli. I might be wrong but I've noticed a little change in his behavior.

I took the brush out of my mouth.

He's always been so rough with me but yesterday night, he was so sweet.

I gave it some more thought.

This past week too, he didn't do anything to annoy me. I know we were busy with the play and everything but still, it's Eli, if he wanted to, he would have pissed me off at any time but he remained rather calm.

I glanced in the mirror and began to brush my teeth once again but Eli just wouldn't leave my mind.

Gosh!

Why is he stuck in my head??

I washed up and went to the room where I noticed I had received a message. It was a text from my dad. He said there was a party today, in the evening and I had attended no matter what.

I took a deep breath and replied with a,' yes' Then threw my phone on the bed as I got ready to leave for home.

I can't ever say anything to my dad, especially when it comes to saying 'no'. Every time he asks me to do things or does things for me, his son, I have to comply. Not because he's forcing anything on me but because of something else. Something that makes me feel guilty and ashamed.

Something only a handful of us really know since it's a secret.

It's the fact that dad is mentally ill. It's not a disease or anything, he's fine when it comes to everything else but his reality is distorted. That is why, I'm not his daughter, I'm his son, I always was. For him, he only knows me now, not the real Mael.

I closed the door behind me.

It's sad. It pains me every time I think about Mael. His own father forgot he ever existed or maybe dad has forgotten that I exist.

...

Whatever the truth in his mind is, it's sad nonetheless.

***

The mansion was busy getting ready for the evening party and I did my part. I overviewed the servants and then went to get ready for the party. Of course, my attire consisted of

I didn't get my injection last week since my doctor was out of the city but I guess I won't be able to get it this time either since I got wrapped up in this party.

As the evening progressed the people came pouring in and since it was an elite-class party I knew Laina would be coming too and I was waiting for her. When her family entered the hall, I subtly waved at her and she did the same thing since our families don't like us hanging with each other.

After the family blended in with the rest of the guests, Laina made her escape and came to me. We began to chat away from the prying eyes of our families.

"Say," She asked, "How's your sister doing?"

I smiled, "She's good." The fact that I have a sister is a secret from the world, after all, nobody knows about the existence of my biological mother and as far as the world knows, I'm Rachel's son but I ended up telling Laina at some point in high school. Honestly, it was a mistake, it just slipped out in the heat of the moment. I was really scared that Laina might spill the beans and my family was going to end up in trouble but it didn't happen.

We just grew closer after that but I still haven't told Laina the whole truth, somehow I couldn't bring myself to. Of course, she doesn't know Amara is my twin or my real gender. She only knows I have a sister from some other woman dad had a one-night stand with. Some people have an idea that dad is paying for some girl's tuition as a charity act and that Amara is his ward but no one knows the truth. Amara isn't allowed to attend any social events either so no one had really seen her either. Of course, her not being allowed to be in the spotlight is because of Rachel. Nobody wants to see the child of their husband from another woman.

I like that I have someone I can talk to about my sister though. So we talked a little about Amara and other stuff.

"Can I meet her?" Laina asked,

"With Amara?" I shook my head, "She's very reluctant when it comes to meeting new people." I gave her a soft smile, "You know," I pointed at my lips, indicating her disability, "She's very sensitive about it."

"I'll try my best not the make her uncomfortable!" She grabbed my hands, "I would love to meet your sister Mael!"

"Uhhh..." I wasn't sure what to say, "I'll talk to her about it." I nodded at her.

"Yes!!" She jumped in happiness, "I love that we have this between us." Her eyes shone when she looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Secrets." She was excited.

"Uh..." I smiled, "Yea, me too."

"If you have more," She leaned in closer to me, "You better tell me." Her eyes glowed for a moment, "Or else!"

I laughed awkwardly at her threat, "I don't," Sometimes, Laina seems sort of obsessive but all in all, she's a good kid.

We were still talking when the Sinclair family, A.K.A, Eli and his family, entered the party hall. And though it's a given they're going to be here, the Sinclairs own the biggest cosmetic company in the country, after all, so they're always invited to all the elite-class parties.

I've been seeing Eli at these parties ever since I was a kid and I should be used to it but something felt different today.

The moment my eyes landed on Eli, I felt my heart skip a beat.

Wait, my heart skipped a beat?!

I immediately turned my head away as it shocked me. My eyes went wide at my own action and I couldn't comprehend why?

Why did I react this way? Is something wrong with me? I shook my head at myself and then turned to look at him once again.

He had his hair styled and wore a designer's suit that complimented his physique, and just like usual, he had a haughty expression on. Usually, just the sight of him would annoy me.

But today, the more I look at him, the more my heart's pounding.

I gulped as if I was thirsty.

What is wrong with me?