Chapter 36: A Ballad of Tears

A/N: The song for this chapter is in the media.

Summer

I shut my eyes anticipating the pain. In that moment, the metal sliced through my skin with little effort and dug straight in. I cried out in searing pain, my breaths choked for air. A inflaming burn flared up my side, consuming me in agony, making my mind go dark. My head limped back, while the blood crawled up my throat. Is this how my story ends? The knife dug into my side causing me to cry into the night. The man released his grip and the gushing of the knife leaving my side, rung. Tears lined my eyes, as my pain become numb. I felt the cold pavement beneath me, while my body fell to the ground. I began to hear footsteps pounding the ground, as the man ran away. As I fought for consciousness, my vision became clouded and I took one last breath.

Demi

We rushed to the hospital. The emergency room was filled with indisposed people. Max held my arm protectively, while Sarah followed closely behind. As they noticed our arrival, their grimace faces turned from pain to starstruck. They pulled out their phones and chatted amongst themselves.

"That's Demi Lovato."
"Dan Marino's wife is here."
"Is that the Disney girl?"

I quickly approached the receptionist desk. She stared down at a Soap Opera Digest Weekly. Her oval rim glasses rested on the bridge of her nose. She looked up as I cleared my throat in impatience.

"How may I help you?" she closed the magazine forcefully.

"Yes. We are here for Summer Allison Marino." I informed

My body was shaking uncontrollably. Max rubbed my back in empathy.

" The authorities told us she was transported here." Sarah interceded

The woman nodded then glared at the computer screen. She clicked the mouse a few times, then picked up the phone.

"The family of Summer Marino is here. Okay. Thank You."

She hung up the phone. We stared at her waiting for her response.

"I'm sorry,but you guys are not allowed to see the patient until her doctor comes and talks to y'all." the monotone ranged in her voice. As if she said that line thousand times.

"Can you tell me if she is okay at least?" I pleaded.

She rubbed her forehead and inhaled deeply. As she lowered her glasses back to the bridge of her long nose, she recovered the magazine. Her tone became stronger as she answered in annoyance, "Ma'am, I do not know the status of the patient. The doctor will visit you soon. Please just take a seat."

My temperature rose with intolerance.

"Look here-" I spat

"Demetria, relax." Sarah intervened.

Sarah grabbed my tense shoulders. "Thank You ma'am."

"Come on baby." she whispered

Her soothing voice relaxed my nerves a little.The woman rolled her eyes and opened her magazine.
Turning, we took our seat. I slumped into the plastic grey chair. My sinus headache returned. The bright florescent lights made it worse. Furthermore, people constantly stared at me. I looked away to avoid eye contact. My body was slowly beginning to feel the toll of anxiety. I practiced my breathing, saying my mantra silently. After about what seemed eternity, but Max assured was only twenty minutes, the physician approached us. We all stood upon his arrival.

"Marino Family?" he questioned, referring to his clipboard.

"Yes." Sarah answered

"Follow me please."
He turned and led us through the double doors into a conference room.