Chapter 39: Nights Like This

Summer

" So, do you remember anything that happened to you yet?" Demi had asked, after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

Her hand was rested casually on my thigh as she continued drive. I pondered on the statement for a while and realized that I haven't tried to recall what had happened to me. Every time I attempted to remember anything too hard my head started to ache. So far everything still remained a big blur, and only bits and pieces floated through my mind.

" Not really." I shuggred, wanting to give her a better answer.

She rubbed my thigh caring, " No rush, just wondering."

"Do you know what happened to me?"

She tilted her head to the side thinking, "Well I only know what I was told. They said you had been abducted and poisoned. Then, when you tired to escape they must have stabbed you." her voice got softer the further she went into her statement.

I currently wasn't able to corroborate with the infromation they told her. I did know how ever, the stabbing part was correct due the faint scar on my side.

I looked out the window, "Huh."

Demi moved on to her next thought.

" I talked to you a lot while you were in that coma."

Still observing the sceanery- I smiled, "I know."

What alot of people fail to realize is that when an individual is in a semi-coma, they are able to hear and observe everything around them. I was able to sense when someone was in the room, the nurses checking my vitals, and when Demi was present. Unfortunatly, the pain medicine I was given made my body fall into a dream like state. I would have weird dreams and fantasies. There was one I had that felt very real,like I was in heaven, still I cant really remeber what it was about.

Turning my head, her sunglasses veiled her reaction. Still, the furrowed brows gave away slight sense of confusion. I shifted in my seat and turned my body to her.

" When I was in the coma, I sensed and heard everything around me. So I knew when you came and sat next to me. I heard you crying and taking to me softly. I even heard sometimes when you would sing to me. I didn't get to hear a lot of things though because my body would float in and out of consciousness ." I tired to explained

She looked forward, " What did you hear me say?"

I turned back into my seat and shrugged,

" I don't know exactly. I just heard your voice, must of it sounded muffled ."

We drove a little further in more comfortable silence. Until, we pulled up into her family's neighborhood. Demi smiled as she noticed my confusion.

" I needed to take a detour. I left my suitcase at my parents house."

...

Demi got out and grabbed my crutches from the trunk, she stood me up.

I noticed there were a lot of cars here. With this being Demi's family it wasn't surprising. They always had family dinners and parties here.

She pulled me from my thoughts, " You ready?"

I walked closely behind her, as she climbed the steps. Demi wore a cheeky smile on her face. She knocked a few times and then stepped back. After a few moments of waiting, I asked an obvious question,

" Don't you have a key?"

She smiled again and laughed, " I do, don't I?" I shook my head.

Demi was acting wired since we left the hospital. She would hold her phone close to her body while she read texts around me. She pulled out the key holder from her jacket pocket. She wiggled with it for a while, pretending to find which one it was. We both know that her parents house key has a blue dot on it- which she passed over about four times.