Chapter 11 - Up

Chapter 11

Up

- And Heaven's Gates stand smiling wide above the ash of burning skies -

Thonavar turned around but saw nothing. The grip on his arm had been released. Then another hand emerged from the shadows and clasped Thonavar's shoulder. Suddenly, as if the darkness had worn a cloak, a ripple of darkness moved toward his left. A hooded figure enveloped in black swirling robes that floated about him stood before Thonavar. The figure stood there, silent, becoming as still as one of the statues lining the Avenue of Kings. He stood there, a statue that had come to life, raindrops painting a silhouette of a man standing in the rain.

Thonavar blinked rapidly. He saw the hooded figure standing before him but felt slightly uneasy. For such was the stillness of the man within the dark robes that Thonavar felt that if he, for but a single moment, failed to keep the man standing before him within sight, the man would fast disappear into the surroundings. As he watched, the figure had already started to fade into the surrounding rain-mist, and was already melting into the shadows. It was as though Thonavar needed to have the man visible to his naked eye before he could sense the man's presence.

"I sense your intrigue", said the hooded figure. And the statue came to life once more. "This is called melding. It is easily learned."

Questions surfaced in Thonavar's mind. "Who are you and why do you keep aiding me?" he asked.

"My name is Felix. Felix Vanyaga", said the hooded figure, seeing dawning look of realisation on Thonavar's face. "I see that you do remember me. As mentioned before, we do not have time. Come with me boy. Your father and mother await."

He strode toward the entrance of the citadel before Thonavar could ask his next question. The citadel towered imposingly before them and together they walked into the gaping maw of the beast.

"Why are father and mother here?" asked Thonavar, puzzled.

"To protect them", said Felix Vanyaga simply. "They are in my custody, and most importantly, beyond the reach of the prison wardens."

"How about the charges against me? How will I answer to them?"

"Hush boy, you are full of questions. Now hurry, keep up."

Much to Thonavar's surprise, there was no sign of any security personnel around. No one stopped them or questioned them as they entered the building. But he swallowed all his questions and kept stride with the tall dark figure of Felix Vanyaga, entering the iron gates of the old citadel together. Once they had stepped inside, the iron gates closed with a raspy creak. And the beast closes its jaws, snapping shut the way out, thought Thonavar grimly.

They stepped into a courtyard, walking around a center fountain which depicted two huge angelic beings in battle. Water spouted out of their spears, pouring into a basin at the bottom. Thonavar snatched a glance and saw small golden coins, glittering and sparkling in the murky depths of the water, catching the pale light of the moon.

Walking past the fountain and leaving it behind, they came to another giant doorway. Thonavar wondered how the builders of such a building could have carved such a long, wide and thick block of wood, fitting it in place to serve as a doorway.

"It is the height of ten men", said Felix, catching the look of wonder on Thonavar's face as he gazed up at the giant doorway. Again, the doorway opened, without any shout of command from Felix nor any visible action taken on his part. A darkened hallway stretched before them. Thonavar looked out and up at the night sky they were leaving behind and took a step into the hallway. The tall form of Felix Vanyaga strode into the darkness, not looking back and already he seemed to be disappearing into the dark. Thonavar stepped inside. The doors closed behind him and for a brief moment, he could not see a thing. He was blind in the utter darkness. He reached out, trying to feel his way but there was nothing. He grasped and clawed at air and empty space.