Chapter 24 - Judgment

Chapter 24

Judgment

- For the wisdom of the young surpasses the old, and the old, only that of the dead -

After he had finished speaking, the foremost Lord of the Angardian Council turned and stared out the window to the right and gazed outside. Then, moving to stand before his seat, he paused, turning to stare out the window, with a distant look in his eye.

"How strange to say this", whispered Lord Ramonth to himself, although his voice was audible enough for everyone to hear. "As I watched you during the playback, it became apparent to me that you remind me of someone. But that was a very, very long time ago." His voice trailed off.

With that, the King of Staff and Stave resumed his seat. His eyes simmered back into a dull stare and the wizened old man became silent. The room plummeted once more into an icy quiet.

For a moment, there was not a single movement and Thonavar was amazed at the effect created. It was as if they whole room had become frozen. And it seemed time itself had stopped.

Suddenly, with a dramatic whirl of black robes, Lord Dragba Damon stood to his feet, and the room unfroze once more. The Bishop of Blades moved to the centre again and spoke. "Lord Ramonth has given his vote for the boy", he confirmed. At this, Thonavar felt a surge of happiness mixed with a tinge of relief. 

He also felt a sense of gratitude toward the wizened old man, who was staring into space again.

"I bring you Lady Raphina Semyasha, the Lady of the Hunt, Head of the Templarave and member of the Angardian Council. Lady Raphina", said Lord Damon, turning to face her. "It would please the Angardian Council if you could now give your verdict", he boomed.

Thonavar froze. Lord Damon was speaking to the only woman who sat in the Angardian Council. The woman with the ice-blue diamond eyes.

At Lord Damon's request, Lady Raphina rose slowly from her seat of plush red, smiling haughtily at Thonavar as she swayed down the steps to stand a few feet away in front of him. Then and there, Thonavar decided that he disliked the woman, and that this dislike would be permanent.

"Child", she taunted him. "Do not be heartened by Lord Ramonth's confidence in you. I certainly share not in his assessment of your...abilities", she almost spat the last word.

Thonavar's fist clenched and unclenched and he fought to control his rising anger. He looked at Lord Ramonth for assurance but the wizened man paid him no heed but simply stared into space. He looked at Felix but as expected, the man completely ignored him. No comfort would be sought.

"I certainly thank you Lord Damon for your introduction, but I am afraid that it is lost upon this child. For he appreciates not the value of a title nor knows the respect owed and accorded to such a name."

Thonavar swallowed the outburst that was about to flow from his lips and stared defiantly at her. Lady Raphina stared back at him before speaking slowly and precisely.

"He is but a child and yet his inability to control his emotion remains blatantly obvious to the naked eye. He shall be a most reckless pupil of the Angerius Order, that is if he is allowed to become one", she said icily. She paused for a while, her face in frown. Then she spoke again, almost reluctantly.

"Contrary to what your Lordships think, his performance in the Trial was somewhat...unremarkable. I shall not entertain nor contemplate the possibility of an inadequate and incompetent disciple of our Order. He shall not have my vote. That is all."

"With due respect Lady Raphina. One can hardly describe the boy's performance as unremarkable", said Lord Damon, responding to her observation.

Without looking at him, Lady Raphina answered him coldly. "I am entitled to my own decision Lord Damon, as do the rest of the Council. That is all."

With that, she spun on her heel and walked back up the steps to her chair and Thonavar was left with a sinking feeling in his heart. Lord Damon turned back to Thonavar.

"I regret to inform you that Lady Raphina has not given you her vote", said the Bishop of Blades. You require three out of five of the votes in order that you may enter the gates of the Angerius Order, Thonavar. I shall now pass my own judgment."

With hands clasped before him, Lord Damon took centre stage once more, black robes swirling around him. He walked slowly, albeit with grace, down the steps and to stand before Thonavar.

He smiled reassuringly and his face became creased with a multitude of lines, some of which criss-crossed and intersected. However, standing so close to him now, Thonavar saw that not all were age lines but instead, many small scars from previous wounds on Lord Dragba Damon face. The tall, thin and gaunt form of Lord Damon had seen much punishment and Thonavar could only wonder who possessed the skill to inflict such injury upon the man. Thonavar had seen him deflect Aberoth's blade with but a mere finger at the Courtroom of Justice during his hearing. The man radiated an aura of awesome skill and a calmness that Thonavar could not quite describe. He moved slowly and never in a rush. His movements were always measured and in time with everything around him.

"Thonavar", said Lord Damon, "allow me to explain certain things to you. As you are well aware by now, the Gamer's Virtual Projection is an artificially-constructed reality designed to test one's capabilities and intuitive abilities. The projection is fluid, reacting to individual choice and action. Each candidate that enters the reality constructed by the projection may have an experience different from others. However, know this. Beyond these things, the projection is also designed to test your resolve, that is, individual determination to press on and fight to achieve your goal. But to what extent are you able to do this? To find out, the projection constructed a number of difficult virtual obstacles to test you."

He paused for a moment. But Thonavar was listening intently, his mind already replaying the scenes in his head.

"The first obstacle placed before you was that of the white woman. The 'white woman' is a virtual construct designed to test if an individual is able to avoid an emotional response. The white woman made it clear to you, Thonavar, that the only way to cross the bridge before you, would be to throw her from the bridge and then proceed to pass freely. Would you be determined enough to do such a thing? Could you find the resolve to overcome an emotional response to cross the bridge? Emotion is tied to one's subjective perception of relative morality. Can individual will override moral obligation? This was the test."

A woman stood in the middle of the narrow pathway. She was staring at Thonavar and her white robes fluttering behind her gave her an unearthly quality, like a ghost. She was pale and gaunt.

"If you intend to cross, you must kill me", said the woman sadly.

"How so?" asked Thonavar. "Why must I kill you? We can both cross together."

"Nay child. I am bound to this bridge. And there is only room for one person. You must push me off."

"I will not do such a thing", said Thonavar, his eyes wide with shock.

"Then you cannot cross and will be stuck here for all eternity", she said, almost mockingly. "Come do what you must."