Chapter 87 - Breaking Through

Chapter 87

Breaking Through

- The world exists before us, yet many others await in parallel -

The grey-robed Scientist called Nefaros felt a burning sensation as the silver device upon his wrist became red-hot. He cried out in pain and tried desperately to remove it. But the device would not pry loose and as he struggled to unclasp it, the device activated and a beam of light shot into sky, turning a brilliant, if not fiery red as the World Map projected into the sky. There was a brilliant, resplendent burst of red light and the giant holographic canvas of the world expanded before all who watched below. But this time, something seemed odd, if not, darkly different.

Felix dispatched his opponent but then he too stopped. Something was amiss. Namarie wiped blood from her giant blade as the light of her golden eyes turned a reddish glow, reflecting the light from above. All around, black-armoured patrolmen withdrew from the heat of battle and turned, transfixed by the strange sight before them. As they watched, the hologram of the world twisted and folded bizarrely, its multicoloured lights turning a brilliant red as it collapsed to the ground into a swirling pool of digitalised pixels. The pool of digitalised pixels stretched, merged, all the while fizzling animatedly, before coalescing and morphing into the form of what seemed to be... a man. 

A faceless man...

A hushed silence came over the onlookers, and even Lord Beefheart took several steps back in fear. 

"What is the meaning of this?" shouted Lord Beefheart. 

"Fall back!" shouted Randar, as black-clad patrolmen took several steps back, with weapons readily activated, even before the command was given.

Slowly, the pixels lost their digitalised texture, forming substance with life-like texture and colour, as features began to populate the man's face. The man's appearance was vivid but startling for his face was painted a frightening white and his hair dropped down his back in long silky curls of red. Atop his head, he wore four-pronged hat that made a bell-like jingle each time he moved. But the most unnerving thing was the man's baleful gaze and the maddening look of relief mixed with indescribable pleasure etched all over his face as he looked all around, as if studying his surroundings.

"You there! Identify yourself", shouted Randar, his tone uneasy.

"My lord," offered Nefaros, his face pale, as he stared at the man in utter disbelief and fear, "I believe I know what...we...we must retreat for now...this is...".

"Retreat? We are victorious you fool. The boy is ours," said Randar, with a look of incredulity on his face. "What foolishness are you suggesting?"

"But my lord...this man...this...thing...-", began Nefaros, again with a nervous glance at the newcomer. 

"Will be dealt with," interrupted Randar, ignoring the Scientist as he proceeded to call out to the newcomer once more. "Identify yourself! Who are you? What is your purpose?" 

The man remained silent, saying nothing at first, still studying the world around him.

But then, he spoke.

"Alas, I have returned", whispered the man, as he lifted his hands to his face, studying them intently. "Not of flesh, but of something...eternal."

His voice was strange, as if blended with a synthesiser.

"What is the meaning of this...", muttered Lord Beefheart under his breath. "What is this fool speaking?"

The man suddenly appeared before Lord Beefheart, the red gleam of his eyes staring straight into his own pupils, before breaking into a laugh.