Chapter 90 - Fragments

Chapter 90

Fragments

- The council despairs, its unity broken -

The white interior of the grand chamber was silent. A general unease lingered amongst those present. A man in black robes paced upon the blood red marble floor, his dark twin following in the shiny reflection.

Lord Ramonth, foremost of the Angardian Council, sat at the center of a half crescent ring of seats. To his left sat Lady Raphina. The seat beside her was now empty. The other seat beside Lord Ramonth was previously occupied by the man who now paced slowly before them. Two other seats remained empty. Each on the extreme ends of the crescent ring.

"The council has been compromised", said the man in black robes, breaking the silence.

"Indeed, look around Daniell", whispered Lady Raphina, her icy blue eyes flashing. "Our ranks...grow thin."

Lord Ramonth said nothing, remaining silent. Lady Raphina's condescending tone was not lost on him.

"What be our next course of action?" asked the man in black robes before them, who suddenly stopped his pacing.

"Nothing", said Lord Ramonth. "We wait." 

The man raised an eyebrow and clasped his hands before him but Lady Raphina interjected before he could say a word.

"With respect, Daniell, how can we do nothing? Our doing nothing has led to the situation we now face. Where shall I start? It is now clear that Sigmourne Beefheart has betrayed us. Malcus is only the third person to confirm this to be true. How much has Sigmourne learned while sitting here in this very chamber? Under your watch." 

The last sentence was almost an accusation.

But Lord Ramonth replied immediately.

"I have long suspected Sigmourne's involvement with the Unity. It was painfully obvious to me", said Lord Ramonth softly. His voice was old and wise, like the groaning of ancient trees in the wind.

"But worry not Lady Semyasha", he continued. "There is little that we have revealed during his time at the council. For there is little that I have let or allowed to be revealed. Indeed, what has been discussed in the sight and spoken before the ears of all the council is but of little importance. Genevar and Dimitri have not learned much from and through Sigmourne's espionage. Indeed, coupled with a lack of useful information, Sigmourne's failure to acquire the boy from Vanyaga will not be overlooked by the Unity. Nor taken kindly. Of this I am sure. But such is the price for his corruption." 

"There is more", said Lady Raphina, turning to look at the man in black robes before turning back to speak to Lord Ramonth. "Dimitri has conducted infusion upon himself. A darkness has come over him. I can sense it. His instincts have become base and primal, and he yearns to be tried in battle. Moreover, if what Dragba says is true, then Genevar and Dimitri are bent on all-ensuing war. They would wrap the world in the bloodshed brought about by Genesis technologies once more. And might I mention Sailem Starlassor's sudden disappearance from the Council at such a time as this."

"Genome infusion. Genesis technology. Of this, we are not sure as of yet. We must continue to gain more information. As for Sailem, his intentions have always seemed questionable. And sometimes, most mysterious. He plays a dangerous game", said Lord Ramonth, tilting his head while stroking his chin. "And yet, he has proven himself time and again. We must see this out. For only time will reveal all things."

Lady Raphina sighed impatiently before speaking once more.

"Shall we be content to sit back and grow old while the world spins out of control? I am disappointed, no ashamed, that the only suggestion thus far has been to do nothing", said Lady Raphina, the anger in her tone apparent.