Chapter 64 - Lords and Ladies

Chapter 64

Lords and Ladies

- Only one was ever fit to wear the royal robes but the rest were unworthy -

Lord Damon stood at the edge of the hovering platform. He watched the fight below intently, his eyes flickering back and forth, following the blows traded by each contestant. He studied how the bigger boy moved and saw the strength in his blows and his great potential. But he disliked the arrogance displayed and the disrespect the boy showed for his opponent.

He is like his father, he thought to himself.

"What do you brood about Lord Damon?" croaked Lord Beefheart who sat to the left, perched upon a black chair with red plush cushions. His mighty arms rested on the sides of his chair and he sat back in his seat, his face proud and haughty. 

"Are you not enjoying the contest below? What do you think of Gargan?"

"The boy has great strength", said Lord Damon simply, his eyes not leaving the fight below.

"Is that all you see? You are known for being able to see things before their time", said Lord Beefheart, leaning forward in his seat, his bulging eyes widening with expectation.

"It is a fine contest", said Lord Damon again.

"Tchah! Gargan will defeat his opponent with ease. His opponent is no match for him. See how he toys with him?" said Lord Beefheart, his face glowing with smug pride, his eyes following the fight below. 

"The boy shows disrespect, Sigmourn. He lacks humility also. He dishonours his opponent. You would do well to teach him", said Lord Damon sternly. "Also", he added, "when called upon, do not forget that we must judge the result of the contest impartially and with integrity."

"Respect and honour are for the weak, Damon. There is only power!" said Lord Beefheart, raising his voice from a croak. His face turned red with anger and he clenched and unclenched his fists. "I shall teach my son what I please."

Lord Damon did not reply. There was little point in getting Lord Beefheart angry. He would suffer the man's foolishness for now. Suddenly, there was a gasp from the crowd as the bigger boy below knocked his opponent to the ground and ran in to deliever the final blow. The Lord of blades did not watch to see the bigger boy deliver the final blow but turned away, his sharp eyes scanned the swirling sea of black below. He knew that Lord Beefheart would be similing smugly behind him and did not wish to turn around to face him.

A low mutter accompanied by a chuckle came from his right.

A lone figure stood peering over the edge of the platform to study the scene below. Lord Damon noted how the man stood upon the very edge of the platform, leaning forward. It took a great degree of concentration to find the right amount of balance in body weight to stand upon the very edge of the platform at such an acute angle.

"My apologies", said Lord Damon, turning to the figure, "did you say something Sailem?"

"Oh, nothing at all Damon", replied the figure of Sailem Starlossor, with a muffled yawn, still peering over the edge of the platform. "To be entirely honest, I find this a most boring affair. I hope they finish hitting each other quickly so we can pass judgment and then go back to doing whatever nonsense we were doing before."

"Indeed", said Lord Damon, his gaze returning to the contest below."

"Gargan Beefheart shall progress to the third round after defeating his opponent Lax Maron", rang out the sonorous voice from the control board beside the blacked-cloaked Lord Damon. At this, a grunt of pleasure issued from Lord Beefheart.