Chapter 30 - Journey

Chapter 30

Journey

- And after he travelled to the end of the World, he looked back one last time -

No one moved.

Biron Malcus and the other figure remained silent staring at the young pupils. Looking around, Thonavar saw the pupils still looking to the silent figures robed in black for further instructions. But none came.

Then, a largely-built boy took a step forward and started making his way down the hill. Still no one moved. The group of boys and girls simply stared at the boy.

Then another two boys broke off from the group, running down the hill to join him. The three of them moved quickly down the hill. No one stopped them.

It was happening.

A few more boys and girls broke off from the group, running silently down the grassy hill.

Tingling with a sense of anxious anticipation, Thonavar was filled with an urgent excitement. He turned to Chaeron and Lyla as other boys and girls began to make their way down the hill in the direction of the Cold Mountains. Chaeron looked slightly pale while Lyla remained expressionless with her lips pressed tightly together.

This was the moment that he had not been looking forward to.

"Will you both travel alone?" Thonavar asked them awkwardly, and he looked down at the ground as he asked. "Or will we travel to the mountains together?"

He was asking out of common courtesy. He was already prepared to go alone. No one ever liked to be in his company. He was the brown-eyed freak with black and white hair.

"I do not travel well in a group", said Chaeron and Thonavar nodded, still staring at his feet.

"But the journey seems a difficult task", added Chaeron and Thonavar looked up from his feet.

"And we may need each other's help along the way", continued Chaeron and he grinned widely at Thonavar.

Thonavar nodded quickly trying to hide his surprise as Chaeron moved to stand beside him.

"And what say you Lyla? Will you travel with us?" asked Thonavar. He noticed that from the time they had met her at the clearing till this moment, she had stayed very silent being reluctant to interact.

There were only a few pupils left on the top of the hill. Some had formed groups and others were sitting by themselves staring out over the land before them. Looking down, the figures of the first three boys could be seen. They had almost reached the bottom of the hill and it occurred to Thonavar that the three of them had started out at seemingly unsustainable speeds. It would be practical and strategic to run at a slower or perhaps, or a more even pace, given the great distance to the Cold Mountains. But Lyla had not given her answer yet.

The small blond-haired blue-eyed figure of Lyla stood to one side watching the two boys with folded arms. "I will come", she said quietly as a gust of wind sprayed her hair in all directions. Upon hearing this, Thonavar breathed a sigh of relief for the tension was palpable. "But I do not like him", she added, pointing at Chaeron, who seemed taken aback at this declaration from Lyla.

"He talks too much", she explained, her arms still folded.

Chaeron scowled but said nothing.

With a smile playing on his lips, Thonavar turned away to hide it and walked toward the edge of the hill. The Overseer and the other dark figures still stood there. Thonavar had a feeling they were watching him and his little group. However, they remained silent.

As he stood at the edge of the hill before the beginning of the downslope, a warm breeze hit him full in the face. Behind him, the dark robes of the Overseer and his companions billowed in the wind.

Thonavar did not know what it was but as the skies above began to turn lighter, he felt an indescribable gladness growing in his heart. He stepped forward and then took another step forward. At the corner of his eyes, on each side, he saw Lyla and Chaeron coming up behind him. Breaking into a slow jog down the hillside, Thonavar took once last look back before increasing his speed of movement. Chaeron and Lyla came up beside him and, together, they made their way down the hillside and began their journey to the distant mountains.