(01) Babysitting

(You're Korean, your parents are too. This Chapter is just to introduce them into the story and tell you what they're really like.)

Your POV

Y/F/N. An average, unemployed college dropout. She has always thought that finding a job was damn well near impossible, and she was right; it was an impossible job. Gladly, her parents were always there to help, sending her off to do weird jobs in an attempt to help them pay for the rent. More specifically, her mother does.

"What do you mean you didn't get the job?! It was perfect for you!!!" your mother stood across from where you sat and slammed down an opened letter in front of you.

You frowned and reached to grab it, "it's addressed to my name, right? Why are you opening my letters?" you switched the subject and your mother simply glared at you, putting both hands on her hips and shaking her head in disappointment.

You avoided her eyes putting the letter down on the table once again and staring down at your lap. "Look, I'm sorry mom it's just... I get all nervous during interviews and I don't really see myself translating for a living. I would LOVE to be able to take advantage of knowing two languages but I can't hold a straight face as others speak. It's an impossible job!"

Your mom clicked her tongue and crossed her arms. "You're really stubborn..." she pouted as a little kid would. There she goes... "I just wanted my little girl to be a great, successful young woman..." she covered her face and fake sobbed. "Why did you have to end up like this? Whatever did I do wrong?!" she leaned against a wall and her fake sobs ended up being louder.

The door behind her was opened and she quickly stopped. "I'm home..." your father spoke and you stood from the chair. A smile forming on your lips as you saw the man that could be your salvation. Your mother wiped her false tears and ran up to your father.

"Welcome home sweetie~" she jumped over to him and hugged him. "I missed you!" she spoke and your dad chuckled, hugging her back and then turning to you. You quickly forced your best smile and of course, it didn't look natural at all.

"Welcome home dad," you muttered and tried to not look at him. People around you were always able to read you like an open book due to how expressive you were without even trying.

He sighed, removing his coat and hanging it on the wall. "There's always a next time, although this is like your hundredth rejected interview... You are too good for them anyway." You smiled, not hesitating to nod and agreeing with the words he said.

"Nonsense." Your mother organized his shoes next to the others. "She just doesn't try hard enough." She glared at you. You nervously chuckled and turned away from her evil stare.

Your father tossed the letter in the garbage and sat in the dining room. "Y/N." You turned to look at him. "You have five more chances. If you don't get accepted for any of the next five jobs, I'm sending you back to school and you'll get the job I find for you. Understand?" All the jokes were set aside now and you knew it. He was serious and when he was serious about something, not even your mother, who loves to disagree with him would say anything in return.

You nodded "Understood." At this point, it sounds way better to not try at all. "Give me five jobs and I'll try all five of them," you spoke and turned to your mother who always had millions of jobs ready for you.

In return, all your mother did was smile and walk up to you. Pulling out a few cards out of her back pocket and putting them on top of the table. "Last five. Choose them wisely, you know how your father is." She glanced at him as he read the newspaper he had picked on the way home, loosening the tie around his neck. "You know how strong his character is... but I'm sure you also know he means well." She giggled and separated the cards into different stacks. "Casual, retail, and office." She pointed at the three different piles.

You fished out of the 'casual' pile. Fishing through the many cards. "Babysitting? For this much money?" You lifted a particular one in the air.

Your mother looked at the card, "that's it!" she cheered. Your face twisted in confusion as she grabbed the card from your hands. You were sure it was a scam. Probably something that included the black market and your organs ending up somewhere on a website labeled 'Lazy Unemployed College Dropout' "Babysitting! You're great with kids! How come I never thought of this. It's good money as well!" Your mother seemed excited at the very least.

Well, it does sound like a good job on the odd chance that it's not a scam.