(12) Promise

Your POV

"You sure you can take care of him all by yourself?" Namjoon pushed his bag over his shoulder as he stood in the front door. Channel was feeling better in the span of four days and you felt guilty that you couldn't go to the zoo before Namjoon left. "I can fly back and forth if you want-"

"Oppa. We'll be fine. Don't worry. I love spending time with Chanyeol and I'll make sure to call every night, alright?" He was about to speak, yet you interrupted "Video call. Right after he gets off the bath. I know."

He smiled gently and Chanyeol walked up to stand beside you in no time. "Papa's leaving?" he pouted and Namjoon sighed and glanced at you for once second. In his eyes, you could see it hurt him to be away from his son like you assumed any father would be. He crouched down in front of the small child. Forcing his best smile. "Youw weaving abwain?" Chanyeol seemed on the verge of tears. His arms behind his back and his voice gave you a certain pain in your chest, you could only imagine how Namjoon felt.

"It's only for a few weeks. Chanyeol papa-"

"Just like Mama?" Namjoon's face broke away from that smile and he himself seemed broken. Delicate topic. Keep in mind to not bring it up.

You took a deep breath, crouching to Chanyeol's height and smiled gently. You knew not growing up without a mother might be something a three-year-old like Chhanyeol might be having a hard time going through and be will not fully understand until he's older. "Chanyeol." You cleared your throat and he looked at you on the verge of tears. "Your mama might've had her reasons for leaving. But Papa is saying he's coming back. Has papa ever lied to you?" You asked and Chanyeol instantly made his thinking pose.

He shook his head no with great force and you smiled before turning to Namjoon who seemed to just be staring at you.

Chanyeol sat on your lap as you sat on the small step and you both looked at him while Chanyeol's small hands played with your fingers. "So Papa won't lie right?" You winked and he nodded. "Papa has to promise, you put you pinky out for him to promise and Chanyeol quickly did the same.

Namjoon crouched to be eye to eye with you and kindly smiled. "I promise," he said while wrapping his left pinky around Chanyeol's hand and his right one around your hand.

"Chanyeol's in good hands don't worry that much about him,  alright?" You smiled and Namjoon nodded while standing up.

He adjusted his bag again and you stood up with Chanyeol around your waist. "I guess I'll get going."

"Have a safe Trip."
"Hawe a sawe twip papa!" Chanyeol smiled and waved at him. Namjoon held his face and placed a kiss on his forehead.

He then bowed at you yet you couldn't do it back correctly thanks to Chanyeol so you slightly bowed and smiled. He gave his last thanks and made his way out the door. You put Chanyeol down and turned to the living room where you had left your clothing bag and other stuff. It was official, you'd be staying in your boss' house for a few weeks.

Chanyeol quickly proceeded to play with his toys and you made your way to the guest's bedroom and dropped all your things on top of the bed. You had already cooked dinner and Chanyeol seemed distracted with the toys. You looked around the room and spotted a certain book you'd been reading for a while. You thought it disappeared but it appears Namjoon just moved it around. The bookmark was still on it and you just decided to go back to the beginning of that chapter. 

Closing the door behind you, you sat down on the couch in front of Chanyeol who seemed to still be distracted by his toys. 

Time was lost as you read your book and Chanyeol played with his toys. Time went on until you heard a loud thud coming from the playroom. You instantly put the book down and rushed to Chanyeol. "Hey, Chanyeol- what are you doing?" You stopped and smiled, seeing Chanyeol trying to move the table out of the door. The three chairs that were there had been knocked down. Fixing the chairs, you crouched down in front of him. "Where are you taking the table?" 

"Dunno..." he pouted and you smiled while looking down at him. 

Glancing at your watch, you noticed the time and it was about time the two of you took a bath to call his father right after. "Alright kiddo, let's just give you a bath then we could talk to papa." You lifted him up in the air and walked to Namjoon's bedroom where Chanyeol's clothes were. You grabbed his pajamas and walked him to the bathroom. 

.     .    .

"Chanyeol, it's ringing, it's ringing!" you sat on the bed next to Chanyeol who was sitting on your lap. You wore your pajamas and were fresh out of the shower just like Chanyeol was. 

Chanyeol turned to look at the camera and a low gasp escaped his lips when Namjoon answered. "Papa!" Chanyeol climbed on top of you and pushed you back. You dropped the phone which of course gave Chanyeol a chance to take the phone. "I mwiss wu!" he stood on the bed and instead of arguing against him, you smiled and watch Chanyeol talk to his father over the phone. 

"Yeah? Daddy misses you too." Namjoon's voice was deeper than usual on the other side of the phone. He sounded tired. "I'll be back in a few weeks. Alright?" 

You smiled and crossed your legs. Chanyeol glanced at you and whispered at the phone. "Y/N's stawing ower..." he gasped and you giggled. "She has cookwies!" He cheered and you smiled. You only make small cookies and give them to him so he could think there's a lot. 

"Really Chanyeol? Are you going to sleep right now?" 

The conversation proceeded and you turned the lamps on, walking to the light switch and turning it off. There was still a lot of light from the two lamps that you couldn't tell the difference. Chanyeol sat down next to you and showed you on the phone. "Hello, Sir- Oppa." you greeted him and moved Chanyeol out of the corner from the bed. 

"You're really punctual Y/N. I just got back from the performance and finally got to my hotel room." he sat down on a chair in front of a desk. "It feels kind of weird not getting a complain call in the middle of the day from the babysitter." 

You saw Chanyeol had laid down and you leaned against the bunch of pillows in the guest room. "Chanyeol's not all that bad. This kid right here is literally an angel." 

A loud laugh came from the other side of the phone and Namjoon looked at you on the phone. "He's a little devil." He joked and you glanced at Chanyeol, surprised to see he was now fast asleep. "How was your first day of babysitting?" 

"Pretty easy, Chanyeol just spent all day playing and not doing much. I think that tomorrow it's going to be pretty difficult." you stared at his eyes and couldn't look away. "...yeah." You smiled and looked away.

"Shoot..." he muttered and looked at something next to the phone. "I have to go right now. I just wanted to make sure Chanyeol wasn't too much of a trouble maker." He kept glancing at the door now and fixed his hair. "You have to call back tomorrow morning? Promise?" He smiled and stood up. 

You nodded and waved at him. "Goodnight~" you both looked at one another and couldn't look away from one another. 

A knock from the door came and you both looked away from one another. He waved goodbye and you smiled before hanging up. 

In the room, you turned the lights off and the silence of the room was bothered by the sound of your heartbeat. Why is it that every time you see him or talk to him your heart never stops?