Chapter 50

One Day Later.

-

Vivienne Reid being shot in the street hit Oakland hard. If she was going to die at only 27 years old, many felt it should have been with a bang. But it was a wrongful death. A hit that was put out on her and couldn't be taken back. Happy Lowman is angry, and vengeful. When the first, and who was probably the only love of his life died in his arms, he needed to find every reason not to kill anyone who ever did anything wrong to him or Vivienne.

-

Happy sits at the bar in the clubhouse, sipping whiskey. His mind is elsewhere and he doesn't register anything going on around him.

A prospect brings in some newspapers and Happy picks one up. He flips through the pages and sees it.

Notorious criminal, Vivienne Reid, dead at 27.

He reads a bit of the article under the bold letters.

Vivienne Reid, an infamous woman in the crime underworld of Oakland died yesterday after being shot three times outside of her building on 76th Street. Her killer was also found dead with a gunshot wound to the head. A funeral will be held, arrangements are still being made.

Happy sighs and throws the paper to the side. He takes out his burner and calls Leigh. “Hey.” Happy says.

“Hey, Hap.” Leigh says with a sigh. “I just read the paper.” Happy says. Leigh sighs, “Yeah. It hit the news really fast.” he says.

“There’s going to be a funeral, it gonna be private?” Happy asks. “Not sure. We’re still debating. Despite her being known for crime, a lot of people still respected her and admired all she did for Oakland.” he says.

Happy hums in approval, “Right. Well, keep me updated will you?” he asks. “Of course, man.” Leigh replies and he hangs up.

Roosevelt walks into the clubhouse and sees the guys all around the room. He looks at the bar and sees Happy. He walks over, “I uh..I’m sorry about Vivienne. I could tell that what you two had was something genuine.” Roosevelt says.

Happy doesn't pay any attention to him, he just continues to sip his whiskey. Jax walks out from the hall and shakes his head, “You need to go, man. It’s not a good time.” Jax says.

Roosevelt steps from Happy and goes to Jax, “I just wanted to come by, tell you that there is going to be an investigation into Vivienne’s murder.” he says.

Happy turns around, “If you're the one investigating, you shouldn't. Vivienne didn't like you enough for you to do that.” he says.

Roosevelt looks at him, “Right. Well, believe it or not, I respected Vivienne. She was tough as nails but she could be understanding sometimes.” Happy turns back around, shaking his head. Roosevelt nods to Jax and leaves.

Happy watches him leave and turns to Jax, “What are we going to do about the Mayans?” Happy asks.

“Alvarez tried to call off the hit, man.” Jax says. “Doesn't matter. He put out a hit on her. Of course it couldn't be canceled. There needs to be retribution.” Happy says.

-

Back in Oakland, the streets are quiet. Tensions are high. People are on edge. Outside of the Mayans clubhouse, members stand out, having a smoke and talking.

A black Suburban pulls up to the curb, and Terry’s arm goes out the window, holding a MAC-10. He pulls the trigger and kills 4 of the 7 members outside.

Another hand throws a yellow manila envelope onto the sidewalk and the car speeds away. Alvarez runs out and sees it. He picks it up, opens it and sees a letter.