Marriage and Baby

It was funny the way things happened once we'd made our decision to move forward and get married. I'd never seen things go so fast and smoothly. My mother—Faith along with Christopher and Julian planned and plotted. I sometimes wondered if I was even in the damn room.
"Am I allowed to choose anything?"
The lounge went quiet, three pairs of eyes looked over at me.
"You can have whatever you wish, Virginia."
"Julian, you're all talking as if I'm not even in the room."
"I'll just go and make a pot of coffee," smiled my mother escaping the lounge with quick steps.
"We didn't mean to," said Chris, who came and sat beside me on the sofa. "We want you to be happy and relaxed. We don't you to stress with the baby so close to..."
"Well first of all, who did you choose as my seamstress because I have ideas to share and wish to look at fabric in ivory silk and satin for my wedding gown."
"Your mum can answer that. What about flowers?" said Chris
"Peach, apricot and some hits of blue. Any type, though I think I'd like roses as the main flower."
"Those sound lovely," said Julian. "I suppose you want me in a penguin suit?"
"No. Whatever you're comfortable in as long as it's a suit."
Faith entered with her tea trolly smiling. "We started a menu and a guest list if you'd like to look them over."
"I want Julian's birth mother here along with our closest friends. No extras, no plus one. ID before entry to the manor."
"That goes without saying," said Brent as he entered from his office. "The coffee smells great," he helped himself.
"What about a celebrant?"
"Nick will do," Brent smiled at his wife.
"Now that's a good idea. He's adorable and we've not seen him for a while."
"Who the heck is Nick?" I said.
"Ex-footballer, Lawyer and Celebrant. He took our marriage service once we knew you were on the way," replied my dad.
"Ok," I smiled. "What's he like?"
"I'll call him and see if he can come over tomorrow and reveal all then. It's getting a bit late now."
"Aww, Dad," I whined.
"Bed, young lady. You need your rest."
Okay," I muttered. "Thank you for everything. You're the best, Dad."

I woke with a moan. The baby was kicking hard, making me sore. I couldn't get comfortable. Sitting up in bed, I blinked my eyes open, rubbing them gently. It was still dark. Julian was fast asleep, and there was no way I was staying in bed. I was too restless. I needed something to do. Struggling out of bed, I waddled to the bottom of the bed, picking up my robe and putting it on, I slipped out of my apartment to the lift and went downstairs to the kitchen.
"Hot chocolate may help you calm down little one," I muttered heading out of the lift and down the hall. The kitchen was cold and dark. I flicked on the light, crossing to the fridge, and on the far side, I opened the double doors and stared at the contents. Where was the milk? Mum rarely let me into the kitchen as a child, which is why I had to learn how to cook.
Finally finding the milk, I poured some into a mug which I found handing on a mug tree on the bench. Picking up the hot chocolate powder I put a couple of teaspoons in—heaped and walked over to the microwave, placing the mug inside. Closing the door, I stepped back and stared at the microwave. I had no idea how to use this one.
"Sit down, Virginia," said my mother from behind me.
"Damn, you scared me then," I settled my hand on my round stomach, the baby still kicking hard. "You need to show me around and how to use your microwave."
"I can't believe you don't know considering you're brilliant on a computer."
I sat down and muttered to her. "Computers are easy, and my microwave is totally different." The bell dinged, and she placed my mug in front of me on a coaster. It was delicious.
"What are you doing up?"
"Baby won't settle down. Getting lively at night," I sighed.
"Are you nesting?"
"Huh?"
"Just before the baby arrives, you start nesting. Making sure everything is in the right place. Clean and tidy."
"I don't think so. I'm just restless. What are you doing awake?"
"I'm a light sleeper. I heard the lift go and knew one of you were up. Considering the circumstances, I thought I'd check and make sure everyone's all right."
"You're such a lovely mum," I smiled.
"Has baby calmed?" she reached out her hand, hovering over my stomach. I took it, pressing it down where the babe had been kicking me.
"I think he's gone to sleep again and now I need a pee."
Mum helped me to my feet. I waddled down to the lift with her at my side, and up we went. The doors were opening when I hissed, a sharp pain across my back and my stomach tightened.
"Are you ok?"
"Uncomfortable," I muttered.
"Come down to our lounge and use our ensuite. I'll sit with you for a while."
"I'm fine, mum. It's probably those 'hicks' things. You remember the practice run."
"I still prefer to stay with you. I'll be good company if nothing else."
"Fine."
I took her arm, and we moved slowly to my parents' apartment, moving straight to the bathroom. Sitting down, I relaxed. Halfway through, my body tightened again making me whimper—a rush of water.
"You okay darling."
"I think my waters just broke," I started to giggle. It was too early. Then I began to cry. "Mum. I can't lose my baby."
Entering the bathroom, she helped me up. "Let's get you in the shower and changed and I'll get dad to call the doctor. We may need to take you back to the hospital."
"I can't lose my baby," I winced as a contraction hit me. "oh god."
"Relax, have a shower. I'll be right back."
"Please, mum. Get Julian."
"Of course," she smiled.
I stepped into the shower, groaning as the warm water hit my body. By the time my mother returned, I was having another contraction, my hands on the wall as I tried to breathe through the pain.
She helped me dry and dress, walking me into the lounge where my dad looked panicked, Julian looked serene and held out his arms. Chris was pacing back and forth while Sam watched on in bemusement.
"Brant. Did you call Craig?"
"What? Oh, hell." He took out his phone, calling Craig letting him know Virginia was in labour.
"I'll be there in five, Mr Costello."
"Virginia. We need to get you downstairs. Chris will you stop pacing and go to Julian's room, you'll find Virginia's emergency bag just inside the door. Sam go with him," she laughed.
"You're enjoying this far too much," I muttered as another contraction took hold. "Shit," I squeezed Julian's hand.
"You'll be fine, sweetheart."
I glared, making my mother laugh harder. "Don't say it, Virginia. It's always their fault when we get to this stage of pregnancy."
"Damn and double damn."
Mum and Dad assisted me to the lift, Julian walked behind with his walking stick while Chris and Sam approached carrying my bag.
By the time we were at the front door, Craig had arrived with a calming smile. "Let's get you settled and to maternity."
"It's too early."
"They have magic tricks these days. The obstetrician will do all they can if they need to slow or stop your labour."
"How the..."
"Three kids, one was prem," he patted my hand as I sat in the car with another groan. I hated this pain.
"Thanks. I think."
Mum got in beside me, letting Julian sit on the other side. Chris and Sam sat in the seats opposite, and Dad got in the front passenger seat.

We arrived at St Thomas' Hospital, where the maternity centre is. A nurse met us at the door. Apparently, my mother had rung ahead. Stepping out of the limo, I saw my midwife and smiled.
"Thank god."
She gave me a quick hug and helped the nurse settle me into a wheelchair.
"Let's get you sorted."
"I still have five weeks to go," I let my tears slip over my cheeks.
"Hey, no worries," she looked over her shoulder. "The father with me the rest of you need to go to the waiting room for now."
Julian and Chris looked at each other and shrugged. They followed me down the hall. It was only when we got to a room that the midwife noticed both of them.
"I said the father not..."
"We are both the father. Me legally him possibly," Julian pointed at Chris with a grin.
"Right. Unique family. I remember now," she laughed. "I'll check you out and depending on the findings, I'll call your obstetrician."
By this stage, I was laying on the bed, Julian and Chris standing either side. Karla, my midwife, fastened a heart monitor over my stomach and we all smiled at the strong, steady beat.
Julian crumpled into a chair, keeping hold of my hand, his other brushing tears off his face.
"I never thought I'd have a child."
"Ouch," I winced as Karla checked the baby.
"Sorry," she moved back. "You are about four cm dilated—a long way to go yet. Baby is fine, I'm not sure why you've started labour. It could be due to..." she trailed off seeing our faces pale. "Never mind. I'll call your doc and let them know you're here."
"Thanks, Karla," said Chris. "I'll go let the others know. You both rest." He smiled at an exhausted Julian. "I'll be back shortly. Do you want anything to eat or drink?"
"McVities biscuits. The water will do me fine. Get Julian a hot chocolate. He needs to sleep for a while."
"I'm fine," he grumbled.
"No, you're not. You still have a way to go with your healing," retorted Chris and left us.
I didn't hear much after that. I must have dozed off. Sort of hearing people coming and going, contractions seizing and my baby kicking.
The sun was coming out when I finally woke up to find my stomach rumbling for food, and my doc standing at the foot of my bed.
"What did I miss?"
"Surprised you slept through, Ms Costello."
"Must have been tired. Is my baby going to arrive today or not?" I looked over to see Julian smiling at me. "Where's Chris?"
"I'm here," he muttered from the other side of the bed.
"Will you tell me what's going on?"
"We managed to stop your contractions. You are on total bed rest for three days then you can get married..."
I glared. "You can bloody well restart them then. I want this baby out. Our wedding can wait for a few weeks."
Are you sure, Virginia?" piped up Karla as she approached my bed. "Your baby may well need to go to the prem unit for a few weeks."
I rested my head back, wondering what to do. "When they restart naturally I'll be having the baby. Meanwhile, I want to go home."
"Not this time, hun. We need to keep you and the baby safe. We can do this from here."
"I'll organise some security," sighed Julian.
"I'm not scared of that bitch," I snarled.
"You should be. Charmaine is psychotic, Virginia."
"I wish they'd just catch her."
"They're hunting and watching. It's like she's gone to ground. They'll find her. I promise."
"Fine. As long as it stays safe. I'll stay."
"You're doing the right thing, Virginia," smiled my doc. "Nobody can get on the ward without a pass. You should be safe."
"Thanks. Now is there any food? I missed on what Chris got last time."
"I saved you some," he leant over kissing my cheek. "What would you like?" the doc and my midwife left us.
"You. I want you and Julian. Where are my parents and Sam?"
"Sam went home to catch some sleep he has work today."

My mum entered with a tray of food. It looked divine. We all tucked in and shared the leftovers from what Chris had bought earlier. Then it was time for the bathroom, a walk and rest. This was going to be boring.
Dad stuck his head around the door. "Do you all want your computers?"
"Just get Virginia's. Chris and I will be home later to catch up on sleep."
"Okay. I'll be back later and take everyone home. I gave Craig the rest of the day off."
"Thanks, Brant."
"Welcome, son." He grinned and left.
"I'll go too. We'll visit this afternoon." Said mum kissing my forehead and trotted after my dad.