Chapter Two • News

-William-

When he stepped out into the cool night, he caught a glimpse of the girl as she disappeared around the corner of the inn. Still yearning to speak with her, he decided to follow her. Eagerness caught his feet, spread through his every vein and urged him to hurry after her.

As he turned the very corner he'd seen her disappear around, he saw her. She was walking along a muddy road. Barely able to see her in the darkness, he went after her.

"Is she walking home alone? Without a chaperone or an elder?" He whispered to himself in disbelief as he walked after her. "Why would she put herself at risk like that?"

Why are you following her is the real question. He thought to himself.

Treading carefully, not to make any noise that would startle her into a sprint or making her think he meant her harm, he continued after her.

When he was just a couple of meters behind her, he could hear her singing to herself. It sounded like a lullaby, but not really. It wasn't slow enough to be a lullaby, but it was very beautiful. She whistled during the song. The melody was soft and very soothing. Her voice was low as she sang, as to not wake anyone in the vicinity.

William blinked slowly as she kept singing and watched her rock from side to side with each step she took.

Then it dawned on him that she wasn't in a hurry. Neither had she looked over her shoulder once to see if someone was following her.

How can she dawdle like this in the middle of the night? Completely alone? Is she not the slightest afraid of being attacked? He frowned as confusion replaces the tranquility she'd just swaddled him in with her singing.

He studied their surroundings and didn't breathe until he was sure they were alone.

After a short walk, a rugged house appeared. It was surrounded by neatly kept, thick hedges. On a tree stump close to the house, a man sat waiting. The girl waved and William kept to the shadows of the birches around him.

It must be her father.

She walked up to the man and was greeted by a tired smile and kind eyes. William stopped and swore silently to himself. He wasn't going to be able to talk to her tonight. Not without having to explain himself to her father about why he had followed her all the way home, lurking in the shadows rather than just letting her know that he wanted to speak to her. It would seem like he wanted to harm her.

"Are you singing your grandfather's song again?" Her father asked and he put an enormous arm around her shoulders.

"Yes..." She answered softly and leaned her head against him. "I miss him terribly." The last words ringed with sorrow.

She must have lost him recently... William thought.

"We all do." Her father said comfortingly as they went into the house together.

William stood in the protection of the birches and knew he had to come back tomorrow. He needed to speak to that girl. He had never been so sure about anything in his life.

. . .

He awoke early the next morning, snuck out of the inn and went back to the girl's house. All without being caught by ser Thomas. As he walked back to the girl's house he noticed how none of the villagers seemed to have risen as early as him. There was not a soul in the road as he made his way to the small rugged house . The only company he had was the chirping birds above him and a light summer breeze.